Active Modding?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ftoomsh, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Ftoomsh

Ftoomsh Well-Known Member

Anybody still actively modding C3? I have given up modding and supporting OCMOD3 (some time ago now).

I won't be re-starting OCMOD3. I might build a cut-down Mod in the OCMOD3 style with troop upgrades mostly or entirely removed. My idea would be to build the mod with as few coding changes from vanilla as possible to make maintenance as easy as possible. By this I mean;

(a) Troop hit points would not be changed from vanilla.
    Troop costs and build times would be changed as little as possible from vanilla. Maybe not at all.

(b) Troop upgrades in barracks and stables would be removed mostly or totally.
    Other upgrades would be kept and changed as little as possible from vanilla except going to 18th C.

(c) Economy would work like OCMOD3 with resource income a little leaner as no troop upgrade costs.
    Same flat market as OCMOD3.

(d) No mine upgrades. They could take up to 10 workers from start.
    Mine captures more difficult. Mines to have very high hit points. Mine delete very slow burn.

(e) Keep the amended production sites of OCMOD3 (e.g. 18th muskets come from 17th C barracks in the 18th C)

(f) Keep the slow musket reloads, long ranges and fatal hits like in OCMOD3.
    Keep "no fire through friendlies" but use the standard musket weapon as in OCMOD3.
    Change musket formations to suit this set-up. (Only one, two and three-line formations for muskets).

(g) Leave out Gen WVPM's Flexible Formations system to reduce update maintenance.
    Therefore all formations to move at same pace again.
    (Be sorry to drop this feature but I want to streamline mod size and post-patch maintenance.)

Mind you, I might do this mod. Not sure yet. No promises and not even sure anyone wants to see it. Overall, I would make it like OCMOD3 but with few or no troop upgrades and all cut down in the code to minimize maintenance. Opinions will vary of course about the wisdom of having no troop upgrades. If that system does not work, I would move to only four upgrades for each 17th C unit and even this would combine attack and defence in one button. That would cut down from about 12 upgrades to 4 upgrades for each unit type. 18th C troops would still have no upgrades even then. They would simply "come out of the box" a little bit better than fully upgraded 17th C troops.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  2. Loner

Loner Active Member

I like a lot of your ideas, my mod was going to have no military upgrades at all, so what you were given is what you had to work with. This allowed you to spend your resources on non military upgrades and producing more troops, I was also going to limit mine upgrades to 10 peasants to each mine.
    But like your-self I have become disillusioned and given up, mainly down to the ' melee graphic speed ' mentioned in another post. I did send an email to GSC about this, over a month ago, but with no reply so I'm not very hopeful of this being resolved.:(

3. Ftoomsh

My thinking is that if I make this mod it will have 90% of the content effect of OCMOD3 in practical play with just 10% of the coding and maintenance effort. It will also differ from OCMOD3 in some aspects, especially in reducing or removing unit upgrades. It will have a new name and be a new mod (if I make it) but I have no new name yet. I will make all the decisions and only incorporate code that I understand 100%. I am not a modder of the technical standard of Gen WVPM or Wralth. This means I have to "keep it simple stupid!" where "stupid" is me. ;)

I must admit I am having motivation problems this time round. I am still mentally scarred by the experience of trying to build and patch OCMOD3 and keep it running for 18 months.

I am going to play a test game of vanilla this week-end with Daddio (hopefully). The idea is to do a 1v1, 5,000s with 1 hr. peace time to test a big army clash. I want to see if "synch lag" is still an issue for me from Australia when I play against people in US (or Europe). The result of this test, or several tests, will likely have a bearing on my motivation level.

4. Loner

Loner Active Member

I wish you all the very best.:cool:

5. Foeurdr

Foeurdr Moderator Staff Member

Good luck with your modding experimentation Ftoomsh. I wish you will have fun again with the game :)

6. Ftoomsh

Daddio and I did a few test games. Synch lag is not so bad now in Vanilla. State vs. Country looks like a very good mod although tricky to learn with all the new upgrades and troop types. State vs. Country is a very accomplished mod and more in the Realism style than vanilla. I think I will switch to playing State vs. Country and not bother trying to build another mod now. State vs. Country is far better than anything I can build.

If I learn State vs. Country inside out, I might then create an add-on mod for it just to add a bit more realism and maybe reduce the number of unit upgrades. Just for my own interest. But basically, I will play State vs. Country when I play.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice