BTW issue

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Mike Erickson, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Mike Erickson

Mike Erickson New Member

Hey guy's, I just installed Back to war from GOG and get a Direct draw init failed error after the cut scenes. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? really want to get my nostalgia on :(

2. Masher

Masher Active Member

This may sound silly, but have you tried running the game as an administrator? also set the game to XP compatibility assuming you are on a newer version of windows. That solves a resolution issue for me so it's always worth a try.

3. Mike Erickson

Mike Erickson New Member

4. Ftoomsh

Ftoomsh Well-Known Member

If you go to this site as a guest or even register there you can ask your question.

http://cossacksworld.ucoz.co.uk/

There are some very knowledgeable people who can help you there. Good gaming! :)

5. Vesko

Vesko New Member

Which operating system are you using - is it 32 or 64 bit?

6. WERY

WERY Member

I had a similiar problem many years ago. I hade to rename the videofolder to Video1 and add a certain DLL-file to that folder. The problem occured becuase of a faultry video graphics card. Today I done have to, because I use the integrated video card instead

7. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

I have heard that several people use the steam version of BTW on modern PC and OS. They do not have these problems.

I am no expert, but the games are cheap on steam and might be worth the try.

8. Ftoomsh

I fixed my Cossacks 1 in Windows 7 like this:

1. Go to the installation folder, and rename the folder "Video" to "video1". This stops the intro videos playing and causing the Draw Init error. But you will still funny coloured pixels in the game's graphics. To stop that follow the next steps.

2. Open Notepad and copy in this text.

taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
    dmcr.exe
    Start explorer.exe

3. Paste this text in a new notepad doc and save it as "cossacks.txt" in your documents.

4. Copy that file and put the copy in your installed Cossacks BTW folder. Rename the file cossacks.bat

5. Create a shortcut from dmcr.exe in the same folder and put that shortcut on your desktop.

6. Change the properties of that shortcut to run the cossacks.bat file rather than the dmcr.exe file.

7. Double-click the short-cut to play the game. (If your disk wants to start the game don't start it that way.)

What this batch file does is automatically stops the explorer.exe, launches cossacks, and when you close cossacks the explorer will be back on. Original Cossacks 1 conflicts with Explorer for some reason.

9. Field Marshall

Field Marshall Active Member

While I had no problems with C1. I did have problems with my C2 installation, it wouldn't recognice that the second disk was in even if the PC did recognize. But the disk is old and scratched so who knows( got it from a friend).

10. Masher

Masher Active Member

I can confirm this, my original box copies do not work on my windows 8.1. So i bought Steam versions and all run just fine.

11. James Hayes

James Hayes Active Member

with the steam version their is a file that install's perhaps the GOG one doesn't have this file? i cant remember the name of the file off the top of my head i would have to have a look when i get in. I am unsure if this is related though. I know it is a file that basically makes BTW work on newer OS

12. [RO]Proof

[RO]Proof Active Member

u sure is from GOG? i have Cossacks Antology from GOG and work fine on win 7, and i know peoples u have same version and work on win 8.1

13. Field Marshall

Yeah my Cossacks Anthology is also from GOG and works perfectly fine.

14. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

Whether your system is 64bit or 32 bit makes a difference as well.

15. [RO]Proof

[RO]Proof Active Member

version from GOG work same on 32/64 bit

16. Field Marshall

My system was 64bit. I didn't try it on 32bit so I don't know about 32bit version.

17. Ftoomsh

Does anyone have a 32 bit system these days? :)

18. Field Marshall

Some do, in their reading and typing laptops. Some people have a laptop for for creating word documents or replying to emails. Every once in a while they decide to run a classic old game in them.

19. Mike Erickson

Mike Erickson New Member

First off thank you guys for the input! system is 64 bit. Despite trying what you guys suggested here as well as elsewhere, I was unable to get it to run. Perhaps it has something to do with a new gtx 970?

20. Field Marshall

What Operating System?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice