Cannon crews - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Privateer, Jul 6, 2015.

?

Do you want cannon crews?

1. Yes!

79.2%
  2. No!

15.8%
  3. Indifferent

5.0%
  1. Privateer

Privateer Active Member

Hi all,

This particular item has been mentioned in wishlists and suggestions so I thought I'd stick a vote on here to see what people really want!

I'd like to know whether you would want there to be crews attending all the artillery pieces or if you are happy with the lack of operators?

My personal thoughts are that yes, I'd rather see some crew attending their cannon, but I can just about live without - I'm sure they can be modded in (though I don't want to see all the features we want to have to be modded in by us fans!).

On one hand this game will be a polished version of the original so they are trying to keep with the original features, but on the other hand, does this, despite the lick of 3d paint make it a little dated? I think just having a crew as just an art asset attached to the gun (very much like American Conquest) would be great - but then again that's just a person opinion!

Age of Empires II has now got another expansion on the way - many years from when it originally was released, yet it will still no doubt have unmanned seige units - something which doesn't faze the audience (this topic never gets brought up!), so how do you feel about the topic in Cossacks 3?

Penkover likes this.
  2. condor_fly

condor_fly Administrator Staff Member

I'd like to see the artillery crews like in Cossacks 2
    well I can do it my self
    p. s. Privateer, it is bad tone to make vote in the thread and do not voting yourself

3. fly

fly Active Member

Why do you think so? He has already stated his own opinion in the opening post and wants to know what others think about this proposal. There's nothing wrong with that.

4. Field Marshall

Field Marshall Active Member

I also think it would be a nice addition, hence my vote.

Privateer do you know about Age of Empires 3? It had a great system for cannons with just 2 men operating a cannon with great animations or even 3 man on the largest cannons. Great animations of the soldiers operating the cannons that changed appereance with the change of age. Age of Empires 2 has no such thing, but 3 has the best system for artillery crews I've seen. It is simple, looks good, and resembles the real thing.

5. condor_fly

Becouse it is logical to show other people what author of the thread is think about his own proposal even do not reading his comments

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  6. Field Marshall

Field Marshall Active Member

Have you played age of empires 3 ? Do you think cannon crew should be like the ones in Age of Empires 3?

7. condor_fly

actualy, no in 2001-2003 I have played age of empires 1 and 2, not bad
    It olways was funny to me how the little men push his "bombarda" :D
    In C2 was the best crews for RPG games, I suppouse
    Napoleon Total war has good animation of the gun crews too, actualy we can get it from that and put it into a C3:)

8. Privateer

Privateer Active Member

Actually, I just forgot too. Now rectified.

I'd also like to hear the reasons behind all of your yes/no/indifferent votes!

9. Privateer

Privateer Active Member

Yes, I do - I agree it was a great system. Of course it wasn't totally accurate of crew numbers/uniforms etc as some folk will no doubt point out, however it was a good balance for the whole gameplay/realism area. It's so nice to the animations of loading shot, firing and recoiling with the gun - makes it so much more alive!

10. condor_fly

YES, becouse the selfpropelling guns in 17-18 centuries looks ridiculous

11. Foeurdr

Foeurdr Moderator Staff Member

Yes !
    But just cosmetic though, I liked to have those strong cannons that could take a lot of hit and could fight against ship.

12. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

I hate to keep saying this but the animations on C2 were spot on I thought. They were maned with a crew of 4, and each member could be shot or killed. Once all 4 were dead, then the gun could be captured.

Very realistic, and already been done by GSC.

Perhaps it would be easy to place into C3 ether by GSC, or a capable modder?

[IG]Hipolit, condor_fly and Loner like this.
  13. Davu

Davu Member

Cannon crew definitely should be in the game, the only question is whether it should be separated unit that can be killed or intgegrated with a canon and realized like a visual effect.

14. Privateer

Privateer Active Member

One of my favourite elements from C2. I loved that the crew could be killed off and replenished. Not so much if they were my crew though :D

15. Foeurdr

I always fear to kill the cannon in Cossacks 2 battle for Europe as it would remplace one of my veteran unit.
    They have good animation, a bit slow to my taste but Cossacks 2 was like this.

16. Loner

Loner Well-Known Member

Daddio said; I hate to keep saying this but the animations on C2 were spot on I thought. They were manned with a crew of 4, and each member could be shot or killed. Once all 4 were dead, then the gun could be captured.
    Says it all.
    ( my apologies, don't know how to do the proper quote ).:confused:

17. Foeurdr

See the reply in the right corner next to each post ? It make automatically the quote of this post, this is the most simple way to quote someone, you can also select a part of a post and there should be a "reply" on a grey box appearing.

18. Loner

Loner Well-Known Member

Thanks Foeurdr, much appreciated.:).

19. [IG]Hipolit

[IG]Hipolit Active Member

If we once had it we are not asking for anything new though. No crew cannons is just a bad and unpleasant impression of making a step back, loosing something... I really would like to have crew like in C2. That was gorgeous!

20. [PR]Ernest

[PR]Ernest Moderator Staff Member

No. Short answer. How you see completly total war in 5k 30pt with art? People don't want take care about cannon crew in big wars. No time for it. Cossacks 1 wasn't calm game and hadn't war of attrition to take care about such details.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice