Cannon crews - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Privateer, Jul 6, 2015.

?

Do you want cannon crews?

1. Yes!

79.2%
  2. No!

15.8%
  3. Indifferent

5.0%
  1. Field Marshall

Field Marshall Active Member

No explanation? Come on you can do better than that. Why don't you make a small point so we can argue. Maybe it's that you don't find it important? Or is it that you are expecting something completely different?

2. [PR]Ernest

[PR]Ernest Moderator Staff Member

How you see completly total war in 5k 30pt with art? People don't want take care about cannon crew in big wars. No time for it. Cossacks 1 wasn't calm game and hadn't war of attrition to take care about such details. I edited previous post and you answer.

3. Field Marshall

Oh sorry. I commented a bit too early. I understand the thing about fast paced battle, but remember that is only attractive to someone who has played the game,e for a very long time and still does. These are very few people compared with what GSC needs to have a successful game. People will at first be attracted by unique pretty graphics mixed with gameplay, and then they will focus on the hardcore gameplay. I feel like this would enhance the graphics and looks of the game enough to make a significant difference. We are in 2015, deep within the beginning of the age of graphics. Back then you could give people a good gameplay with some pixelated stick figures and they would be happy, because nobody had seen such thing before. Today pretty graphics area MUST, just like good audio.

Just my thoughts.

4. [PR]Ernest

American Conquest or Cossacks II haven't big succes, and people didin't play it long. Cossacks 1 is still game which play a lot of people because of dynamic action and not much stupid details. American conquest had too much.

5. condor_fly

condor_fly Administrator Staff Member

I think theare must be two regimes of game, which player can choose before random game:
    1. hardcore - simply gamepley from C1
    2. graphicaly - with cannon crews, muskets reloading, fire by rank, cavalery charge

6. Foeurdr

Foeurdr Moderator Staff Member

We can have crew for a cosmetic effect and no impact as how it worked in Cossacks 1, just an animation.

7. [PR]Ernest

Foeurdr, yes but it works that if they are killed, cannon can't move... Condor, why you think that I don't want muskets reloading? It was in cossacks 1. Army shoot and they have to reload to shoot again. This is not "Total War" series to make cavalery charge... to do cavalery charge you need make morale and exhausted system because soliders can not be in charge long time. If you make it, it will be game like cossacks II and no one will play it.

8. condor_fly

condor_fly Administrator Staff Member

I don't say anything about you, I just mean that long musket or gun reloading would be nice, and many players want to have thease, but it would change the gameplay anyway, what is anaxapteble for outhers.
    Thats why we need to have two regimes of a game.
    Actualy we dont need moral system in C3 (it's doesn't work correct in any game) when cavalery charge, becouse game have the correct hitpoint system with shoots: every 4-th shoot is deadly

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  9. Field Marshall

Why can't the cavalry be in charge a long time?? Total Wars game are more like simulators of historical times. Cossacks 3 is an RTS game that was not realistic in its first release c1. It had some realistic elements and tons that were not. Why can't cavalry charge forever? Is a great feature and that is how it should work. Everything doesn't have to be like the real thing is a freaking game.

10. Nowy

Nowy Well-Known Member

Yes, I want cannon crews. It would be god when they would works as like it was in C2 game.
    Ghost manned cannons in 2015 would be step back and ridiculous.

Loner and ZooM | Eric like this.
  11. Polan

Polan New Member

"Yes" option should be split into "Yes, but only visual" "Yes, with killable crew". I voted yes, but with crew as units not just visual. Killing crew in C2 was a nice feature.

12. Masher

Masher Active Member

Yes absoutely. It is 2015 and i think we should definitely have cannon crews now. Yes they want to recreate the feel of Cossacks 1, but still improvements need to be made on top of that. Cannon crews are just a tiny detail but one that i'd like to see in Cossacks 3.

13. Privateer

Privateer Active Member

I decided not to because I much rather people tell my why they voted X and what they would envisage if their choice is a reality - there are lots of opinions they can't all go on the vote choices :)

14. Field Marshall

Hey guys. After watching the new screenshots, I saw a cannon crew. It seems that they are doing one person per cannon like in Age of Empires3, at least for that basic cannon unit. For the looks of it, I might be wrong but it seems that there will not be killable crew. I think they are just going for the animation or reloading the cannon.

15. Privateer

Privateer Active Member

Well spotted.

For some reason I can't load up Cossack 1's editor - can someone check the 17th century officers please? I've got a feeling those standing by the cannon may well be officers placed there. I certainly hope they are crewed though!

16. Foeurdr

Foeurdr Moderator Staff Member

Look alike a lot yes

17. [PR]Ernest

A lot of yes because only new players vote it or cossacks II fanatics. Other don't walk talk with you.

18. Frankly, considering it was done since American Conquest, and doesn't hinder gameplay anyhow, I'd find it completely retarded if they decide to stick with this one guy standing around design choice. It would just sacrifice eye-candy upon the nostalgia autel in the most retarded way. We are in 2015 for Christ's sake, I wouldn't believe they dare not to make it in the core game, really... I mean making a remake is fine, it doesn't mean you have to keep the bad things in. And self moving cannons are definitely a bad thing.

I played Cossacks since the first demo of EW I got from my Sudden Strike CD. And I just can't figure out how people would actually wish these self moving cannons back. Just why? It looks retarded, it was done like so back in the time because of game engine or lazziness, I don't know... But come on, if you want everything including graphics to be the exact same, just keep playing BtW, Cossacks 3 is supposed to look like a bloody 2015 game.

19. Field Marshall

It seems that the cannons will be self moving. I have just rechecked all the screenshots and the cannons seem to be accompanied by units as part of the placement but they are not actual crew. I didn't want to believe it, but it seems that the cannons will once again be moving around alone and reloading and firing themselves.

20. yeah it's kinda hard to figure what motivation actually did lead to that design choice. And that was what I was afraid, they prefer putting a unit aside in the screenshots rather than making a proper artillery unit including a crew. I can't see anything but lazziness or bad taste, you call it. The way they stick to screenshots to promote a 2015 the way games were advertised 15 years ago is also meaningful in my opinion. They make a video of a static environment, what's the point? Why not seeing units moving or in action?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice