Cannon crews - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Privateer, Jul 6, 2015.

?

Do you want cannon crews?

1. Yes!

79.2%
  2. No!

15.8%
  3. Indifferent

5.0%
  1. Ogon

Ogon Active Member

Masher.
    Not necessarily. At Old Cossacks at first we exclusivity played baddogs mod 1 and later OC mod. We played within the clan only (because we know our members would honor the rules such as No Diplo, No Baloon, no cheating, etc.) Of course we kept expanding the clan when we met serious and honest players who were interested just in fun of playing instead of points or winning at any price. With about 150 members on four continents, at any given time of the day you could find OC partners for play in the shell. Players had different strengths and weaknesses, skill sets, styles and that was good.

Similar story was with HAWKS and their European Wars mod for AC/FB. The clan was so big that they always found enough players within their old ranks - they also set the games communicating via MSN.

So creating strong communities around mods can be an answer.
    Plus you will always have an option to play the mainstream version of the game. Personally I did not do it often. As Old Cossacks we are usually older people and it does not give me a pleasure to be called obscenities and be exposed to all kind of cheating by teens. That is why OC worked so well for me for almost 10 years.

And the mainstream version of the game (although i did not play it much) despite all its flaws was good enough to find millions of players who occupied game-spy shell also for almost 10 years.

condor_fly likes this.
  2. Masher

Masher Active Member

I played the EW mod a lot, and that is exactly my point, if you are in a clan or have friends with the same mods it is not an issue. I mean if you play alone or just go into a public lobby and many of the hosts are using all different kinds of mods it makes it very awkward to find a decent game. That's why i am hoping there is going to be some kind of system in place that clearly displays what mods the host is using with maybe an option to download that mod from steam workshop making it quick and simple.

3. Field Marshall

Field Marshall Active Member

I understand the nuances of C1 and I am sure that the developers can assure you that those are not problems of a 2015 game. Do not confuse a 80% to 90% similarity in gameplay to C1 with a similarity in engine. I can assure you that the engine will not be similar in anyway.We will not need a vanilla mod when you can simply choose what mod you want to play with. If the mod becomes popular then you play with that mod and people download the mod. This is not a problem today, even if the mod critically changes gameplay. It is good to have variety. Why do you not like variety? I rather have a community that likes 10 different mods that have to stick to one mod that everyone plays when I do not completely like that mod. I like having choices even if those choices might limit the amount of people I play with. If people don't want to play the specific mod that I am playing then I will just play with the people that want to play the specific mod that I like. It is that simple.

The exception and only problem lies in actual competitive gaming. However, you do not have to worry about that. I can assure you that once competitive gaming starts the developers will decide which would be the version that is official for competitive gaming. However, why should I limit my gameplay to an official version when I can have many versions? It is a good thing that people will be playing different versions. If they want to play in the version I like then they need to download the version I like. If they don't want to play in the version I like then I am not going to force them to play that version by establishing that my version is "the official mod".

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    condor_fly and The_Hussar like this.
  4. Nowy

Nowy Well-Known Member

I wonder what for create mods for cannons crews when it is clear that majority of fans want to see cannons crew in vanilla game? Artillerymen were already included in some mods as well as in AC or C2 games. GSC easily could include cannons crews in C3 game from the begining. Mods could add another aspects e.g. different artillerymen uniforms, different cannons, different horses, limbers etc. There are lot of things which mods could add, but basic things should be included in vanilla game.

I think that cannons crews, teams of horses with limbers and ammunition wagons are basic things in the game.
    So, devs could include these things in vanilla C3 game.

5. Nick

Nick Active Member

All though in some cases mods can be alright to a certain extent depending on the game I guess but we should not always have to expect things as mods to fill those missing gaps all the time because the whole point of a game being made is to have as many of these things in the legit/official game to avoid using user made mods to start with. Any average customer should expect a lot for what they pay for in any game and on top of that it's not like it's as hard as it use to be making games like 15 - 20 years ago where these days it's much more simpler and faster to make games/content hence all this shit load of DLC they try flogging us off with now. o_O :mad:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  6. Field Marshall

It is not as hard as it used to be but it is still pretty hard. Back then the cossacks team was much bigger than what they have now. Anyways I at least expect the best strategy game possible, but unfortunately it is not my first time following a game before release. I have plenty of experience in the matter and I know about game development and If they are so sure that they will release in q4 then that means that not many changes are coming.

7. [K_A]WARLORD

[K_A]WARLORD Member

YES! More realistic!

8. nhinhonhinho

nhinhonhinho New Member

I say YES because of realistic and eye-candy. In American Conquest it's so fun to see the gun crews work constantly to shoot their cannon (when you upgraded all rof upgrades). Also I prefer gun crews like Divided Nation where the canon team also include a couple of horses and cart, that way the upgrade to make the cannon move faster would be more realistic.

For a killable crew and unkillable crews each once have their own advantage. Unkillable crews are easier to use while killable crews make the game more realistic and eye candy. In case the developer make Killable crews then the crews should have some solf of weapons

Anyway in C1 I often try to simulate the cannon crews for my cannons by having some guys guard it :p

9. Field Marshall

No! Don't do that, in Cossacks 3. Fight them! Fight for the cannon crews! Grab the pitchforks! Light the candles!RABLE!:mad::D

10. vonshaunus

vonshaunus New Member

Thank you, those things took me an AGE to build and animate!

11. Snuffy

Snuffy Active Member

Its called a Limber with a team of horses.

BUT what I would also like to see added would be caisson teams. You know ... a team of horses, a limber, and then the caisson with two ammo chests strapped to it. Heck if you're going to do that, you may as well throw in a forge team and battery wagon team too! :)

Andrej, The_Hussar and Nowy like this.
  12. Andrej

Andrej New Member

As I had stated many times, cannon crews are a must have, same as the blue water is. If someone dislikes it, well, there is still C1 game to play. As we can go even more radicaly: then we do not need even the human units ( or "guns and sabers operators" ), the hand guns can move by themselves. It would totally suck. :eek: Even the Age of Empires 2 had a unit called "Bombard cannon" with one member of the cannon crew included. And this was waaaaaay back in the 20th century ( to be exact in 1999 ). And this was like, bronze age of computer games.

Nowy and kozak like this.
  13. [KGR]-^K[o]K^-

[KGR]-^K[o]K^- Moderator Staff Member

cannon crews - absolutely YES

14. Furious Peasant

Furious Peasant Active Member

Canon crews are a must. I don't buy this game, if there are only selfpropelled guns in it. In American Conquest and Cossacks II they had crews...
    I was shocked when I saw the screenshots of Cossacks 3 with those "ghost cannons" - this can destroy the complete atmosphere of a game.

Andrej likes this.
  15. Nowy

Nowy Well-Known Member

Issue with cannons crews in C3 game probably lay in old C1 gameplay.

When GSC decided do not change too much old gameplay, this could mean we will see again stupid masses robot clones frontal charges on enemy, even against cannons. In this case cannons crews would be quickly killed and cannons would be useless when next mobs wave will attack.

So, when players want to see cannons crews GSC should also change batttle tactics or combats and units stats too.
    This is probably too late for bigger changes and that's why we still see ghost manned artillery. :(

Privateer likes this.
  16. Furious Peasant

Furious Peasant Active Member

In American Conquest the canon crew was just an animation. They were not killable without the gun.
    This could be a sollution.

I personally would prefer the Cossacks II option with killable crews. I like realsitic and strategic gameplay.
    Canons had a bigger range than muskets, they were not so easy to take out. Canons should be also very effective but expensive. Armies with only 100 men but 200 canons are unrealistic. In reallity there was a proportion off 1000/1.

17. Privateer

Privateer Active Member

If the folks are GSC are perusing these English threads and see thi - can we get a response in the Cossacks FAQ or a similar official thread regarding cannon crew please?

I mean it is highly doubtful anything can be done now, but it doesn't hurt to get a response to a much-talked about element.

18. Nowy

Nowy Well-Known Member

AC cannon crew animation is not solution. It looks funny when crews are not killable.

That's why I prefer C2 artillery too.
    However these require some changes in gameplay, battle tactics, combats animations and units stats.
    These changes needs time and GSC annonced release C 3 game in 4Q 2015. It is only few month.
    Therefore there is only little hope for cannons crews in C3 game.

19. Fulcrum

Fulcrum Active Member

I will likely not buy it either if cannons are self propelled. To me, it ruins the pleasure of playing.

Andrej likes this.
  20. Masher

Masher Active Member

You would miss out on a potentially great game just because there are no cannon crews? I would imagine it's pretty low down on their priority list this close to release.

Although i bet there is somebody out there who will make a mod for it sometime after release.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice