Cannon crews - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Privateer, Jul 6, 2015.

?

Do you want cannon crews?

1. Yes!

79.2%
  2. No!

15.8%
  3. Indifferent

5.0%
  1. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

I agree, Just a few short reads here on this forum, and you can tell that a good portion of the posters here want more than a remake of C1. And as you can tell the developers want this as well. They have stated that it will be an open game with modding tools provided.

This game with be taken in several directions by many modders. I would expect to see small additions like cannon crews, larger buildings, different units, etc within a few months of release.

And perhaps a year of so down the line even a napoleon mod with new countries, units, moral, roads, who knows perhaps a mod to cover the centuries from the 10th to the 20th?

So don't give up just yet, The best is yet to come after release. C1 is just the beginning.

Good gaming all!

Daddio

Loner likes this.
  2. Andrej

Andrej New Member

I agree totaly, 100%. When I saw first news that a Cossaks 3 game is coming, I was overwhelmed with positive feelings about it. I was so happy to see, the ultimate in RTS game of all times, knowing, that developers made masterpices of this genre 15 years ago with C1 game, then with AQ, and with C2 game.
    But as a fan and dedicated player, I am strongly dissapointed about facts of the so called "new game". You know guys at GSC, although I am fan of Your masterpiece RTS games, do not think, that I am blind fan. Not anymore. And all of You, who emphasize mods, to me this is stupid. Then it is better, that modders make a game and we will be happy.

3. Privateer

Privateer Active Member

I agree to some extent - I do believe that there shouldn't be an emphasis on mods. Mods are fantastic, keep the game going a long time after the release and can completely change the feel of the game to be potentially better...but this should never be one of the bullet-point features for the game itself, otherwise they are setting themselves up for bad press. New players want to play a great game, not wonder why *insert staple RTS feature since the 21st century* is not in this particular RTS - they don't want to be told that if they want it, they can mod it in.

The total war games have fantastic mods (with ones still being produced for the first Rome), yet it was not sold on mods. Same with the Age of Empire series and the Command & Conquers.

4. Field Marshall

Field Marshall Active Member

True but GSC at this point is much, much smaller than the creators of these games you mentioned. Once again it depends on the extent of the tools. If the tools are good enough and simple enough them yes you might get a game that grew powerful thanks to its community mods. Minecraft is not really mods but its based on building and creating stuff which is simplified way of modding. Arc the game is also building its community based on mods and its really working out. I am not suggesting that this should be cossacks method but i can assure you that if it is it might be much better than the devs making a great game by themselves. Look at 0 A.D. made open source as a contribution from devs and modders and it looks great I dare say just as good as cossacks3 screeshots.Building a great base for modding is setting yourselves up for sucess modders can make a huge difference if the tools are good enough.

Emphasize mods is not stupid at all, are you suggesting that devs can match what a modding community can do? A good base is necessary and c1 is already a good base, that plus great tools could actually do the trick for what this low budget game needs. Some people really don't understand that developers cant make everything that everyone wants and also they need to really get an updates on modding trends. We are not in 2000 where mods were irrelevant, we are in 2015 were the tools are accessible enough for each individual to make their own experience with ease.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    Mike Erickson likes this.
  5. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

I agree with most that everyone is saying. But for me Cossacks has been the only game really that has held my attention through the years. And anything that would keep it going I am going to support 100%.

If it means taking the long road, then I am willing to do what I can to get it down that road.

Would I like to see C3 as the natural progression of the series with advanced state of the art game play at release? Of course! But I am also willing to take what I can get, and work with it from there.

C3 "is what it is" It will get better in time. And this is more than I even thought possible 3 months ago when I thought it was gone forever.

I am thankful for this new chance. and very excited indeed!

I just wish they had not told us about it until it was nearly ready. This waiting is killing me!:eek:

Good gaming all,

Daddio

TomV, Masher and Mike Erickson like this.
  6. Field Marshall

Field Marshall Active Member

Well usually you tell people about it when you have stuff to show but its just painful that they tell people about the game and only show about 6 screenshots.

7. Fulcrum

Fulcrum Active Member

I saw some posts that the game would involve new units, such as the Ukrainian vessel. So, it is more important to put effort on creating a new vessel but to add cannon crews, where 82% of the forum fans say so? I think they`re just staying silent and the end before mod game would feature cannon crews. :)

8. Andrej

Andrej New Member

It is nice to see some optimism.

9. Fulcrum

Fulcrum Active Member

:) The guys behind the game are big enough fans of those times and the warfare back then,and they`ve proven they can build an excellent game. I am sure they`d work hard to get this implemented and it would be among the pleasant surprises in the new version of the game.

10. Snuffy

Snuffy Active Member

It's what's holding up the release. They had to find recruits to man the guns! ;)

11. Foeurdr

Foeurdr Moderator Staff Member

They forgot to upgrade the speed training and fabrication of the cannon ! It will take long.

12. Fulcrum

Fulcrum Active Member

I enlist :D

13. DrowLegend

DrowLegend Member

Of course.

14. Umbral

Umbral Member

Maybe also add upgradable ships.

You build the boat then you equip it with as many canons you have money up to a maximum number depending on the ship design. Or with archers that fire arrows, or ballista, or catapults or crew that can take control over other ships, or throw grenades when the ships are close, or have cavalry on them to overrun the enemy ship when ships are close, or musketeers that fire like garrisoned buildings when ships are close.

Cossacks of Azov boarding the Turk corsairs

[​IMG]

Zaporozhye Cossacks Boarded The Turkish Ship

[​IMG]

15. Prusak

Prusak New Member

Guns potrzebują załogi !!!!!!! I nie kupi grę bez karabinów załogi !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! grałem wszystkie części gry, najlepsza była kozacy wojny napoleońskie:)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  16. [KGR]-^K[o]K^-

[KGR]-^K[o]K^- Moderator Staff Member

Modders can add crew for the cannons in modifications.

17. Nowy

Nowy Well-Known Member

It would be much better include C2 artilley crew system in C 3 game in future DLCs with few automated features e.g.
    - artillery depot create artillery guns together with crews and horse drawn limbers
    - horse drawn limbers could haul faster artillery guns at long distance
    - artillery crew could unlimber and move guns on near position
    - full complement of dead crewmen with close stand units

Artillery could create foot and horse artillery squads as like section or battery.
    Foot artillery squads could move andf fight in accompany with infantry squads and horse artillery squads in accompany with cavalry squads. These features could improve artillery movement delay and strange combats known form C1 game.

These way player could avoid boring micromanagment, game play culd be more dynamic and interesting too.

18. Privateer

Privateer Active Member

I think as long as artillery crews were a visual-only and were handled in much the same was as those as Rise of Nations, it would be great.

For simplicity we may not need the limbering up as currently you select where you want your cannon to go and it moves, so I would say to just have them like AC.

19. Masher

Masher Active Member

Although i much prefer Cossacks 1 style of gameplay over Cossacks 2... i really did love how cannons worked in American Conquest. They looked great,sounded great and just felt and looked cool in battle with the animations. I understand the devs reason of not having crews because of how they slow down the game-play, but honestly i don't think having slightly slower cannons in a game like Cossacks 1 and 3 would be a bad thing, i would take a slower cannon with crews over a ghost cannon that kinda looks a bit silly moving along by it's self.

20. Nowy

Nowy Well-Known Member

C2 game include fine artillery crews and horse drawn limbers. HEW mod also had fine artillery crews, there also was automated horse artillery. So, I guess technically it is not hard include artillery crews and limbers in C3 game.

These require more work and time, but artillery with crews and limbers could looks and works much better.

I guess C3 crews issue lay in old C1 combat style, wrong artillery positioning, many guns can stay too close each other.
    Gaps betwen cannons are too small. C1 artillery can shot through gost manned cannnons and this case do not inflict casualties.

Cannon crews require more free place, are vulneranble on musket and artillery fire and melee attacks.
    Next troubles, when game do not include morale effects and fire ranges are not well chosen, how it was in C1 game.

Therefore GSC decided, do not include artillery crews in the game. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice