Cannon crews - yes or no?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Privateer, Jul 6, 2015.

?

Do you want cannon crews?

1. Yes!

79.2%
  2. No!

15.8%
  3. Indifferent

5.0%
  1. Privateer

Privateer Active Member

I never really get the argument of them slowing down gameplay. If the crews are an actual separate crew, then I understand, though if they are just visual, surely that doesn't slow down anything - it's the same as a cavalry unit and its human rider surely? - one animated unit portraying multiple objects. A Sich Cossacks's rider certainly doesn't slow down his horse whilst waggling his sabre!

Wololo and Furious Peasant like this.
  2. Furious Peasant

Furious Peasant Active Member

That's true in OC mod for Cossacks 1 the new canons with crew were as fast as the original ones.
    http://cossacksworld.ucoz.co.uk/index/oc_mod/0-306

3. Wololo

Wololo Member

Exactly. This is in AoE3 and it works fine. Cannons have two movement options - faster one only for movement (when horses transport cannons) and slower for attack when crew push and rotate cannons. You can switch these options as you prefer.

Look at this example video:

Notice how simple, intuitive and convenient is such solution. It doesn't slow gameplay at all. Much better than self-propelled cannons with a ghost crew which need years to cover a distance between your and enemy town.

For me that's just a poor excuse and proof that GSC just are not able to do it works fine. Their actual solution is quite unprofessional and looks cheap and funny.

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  4. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

Cannon crews have been one of the very first suggestions for the game. It will contunue to be until someone makes the animation.

In the Hawks mod, Gexoid (or one of his partners) was able to create a light horse 2 lbr cavalry cannon that was pulled behind horse. It was not perfect, when it went from being pulled to going into action there was no unhooking animation. but it worked great.

Of course C2 had it worked out very well. but it need a lot of room for the unloading animation. and it caused some problems.

GSC has not wanted to do it for nostalgia reasons. But I think this is a mistake on their part.

Good gaming all,

Daddio

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice