Clock Speed ? or more CPU Cores ? AMD or Intel?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by [KGR]CATWEAZEL, Nov 14, 2017 at 3:46 PM.

1. [KGR]CATWEAZEL

[KGR]CATWEAZEL Moderator Staff Member

I am playing cossacks 3 since 3 months now and i am observing carefully the perofrmance of my computer system when i am playing. I am not satisfied with the lags that appear when the armies get bigger. I have a question for the developers.

I would like to know wether Cossacks 3 is rather a game that depends on a high clock speed than the amount of processor cores ?
    Does Cossacs 3 support hyper-Threading ?

Intel would be mean high clock speeds and AMD rather more cores than clock speed.

I would like to buy new components for my computer and i think we could publish these infos on the forum for people who want to optimize their systems for playing cossacks 3 like me.

Thank you.

2. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

Incase you refer to the lag that appears when you look at large armies, thats really just your GPU clock and hardly anything else.

Idk about the CPU lag tho that tends to happen when there are too many units on the map. Based on gut feeling id say clock speed.

Also no hyperthreading. The game engine is 10 years old so thats a time when even supreme commander had literally no HT support.

3. [KGR]CATWEAZEL

I've got a 5 year old AMD FX(tm)-6350 Six-Core Processor. 1 Core has got 3,9 GHZ Speed.
    Do you think that 3,9 GHZ is too slow for cossacks 3 or is it anything else about the CPU that matters in order to avoid lag?

4. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

I have no idea actually since its hard to test the CPU in the editor

Just calling expected results from having looked at my GPU during testing.

At some point your clock speed just doesnt hold up anymore.

5. [KGR]CATWEAZEL

And what about the frames per second ? Are they rather affected by the CPU or the GPU ?

6. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

FPS should really just be your GPU clock speed.

7. Falc09

Falc09 Active Member

If you have no clue, better do not post any wrong informations please.

1. There is nothing like "HT Support" in any game, anywhere. HT / SMT adds one logical core per phisical core, thus doubling the number of available threads. If you only have a dualcore CPU with HT (e.g. core i3) than of course even games with bad multithreading will benefit from HT. Some of the latest AAA games fully utilize multiple threads (even more then eight) if available, thus benefiting from HT and SMT or high corecount without HT and SMT (e.g. i5 8400 and 8600K)

2. Cossacks 3 utilizes only 2 Threads, so a quadcore with or without HT / SMT is required to get the best performance: 2 Cores will be 100% utilized by the game and 2 more cores are free for handling your operating system and background tasks.

3. Cossacks 3 is only limited by CPU speed, the GPU is almost neglectable. The higher the single/dual thread clock of your CPU, the better runs Cossacks 3. My last system was a Ryzen 1800X overclocked @ 4,1 GHz allcore and performance was ok so far. However, now I am using an i7 8700K @ 5,0GHz allcore and performance was improved massively during late game with high unit counts.

4. When playing online performance of the game mostly depends on the hosts hardware and internet latency of all players.

5. Even if you are using the best available CPU you will face stutter during late game, as the game engine serially calculates unit movement, hitboxes, firing and so on, thus slowing down any computer.

6. The FX 6350 limits the performance massively, due to its bad IPC: 3.9 GHz boost on this CPU are comparable to somewhat around 3.0 GHz on a currently available CPU (AMD Ryzen, Intel Coffelake). I higly recommend to upgrade your computer.

8. Ebel

Ebel Moderator Staff Member

@Catty: Don't forget about having sufficient RAM if you are gonna upgrade your computer. The game benefits from having at least 8GB Ram or more, as it will preload all textures of units/buildings into memory if you have 8GB or more. This will avoid some stuttering when hovering over the enemies units/city.

Side note: I'm currently running an i7-7700K (4.20 GHz base, boosts to 4.5 GHz), which makes the game 'playable' when having large numbers of units, certainly much better than my previous AMD quad.

9. [KGR]CATWEAZEL

Thank you very much for this reply. I derive you tend to prefer Intel due to The higher clock Speed then. In Addition to what U Said, so You think that The Game was poorly programmed and actually needs way better Hardware thank promised before and recommended by the creators?

10. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

Hell no game is good in terms of optimization, just suffers from old engine problems because poor multicore support

11. [KGR]CATWEAZEL

Good to hear that changing the hardware still has a positive effect on the game. I might give it a try buying an Intel System then. Any recommendations ?

12. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

Anything but 6xxx and 7xxx because they use insanely cheap glue that makey your CPU 20°C hotter by default.

Dunno about 8xxx