Could we have the Cossacks 2 combat system back?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Grubnessul, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Grubnessul

Grubnessul Member

Cossacks 2 had one of the most interesting combat systems of any RTS game I have ever played. It was well passed, reasonably realistic (probably the most realistic in any game set in this period) and yet not frustrating. Most importantly, it offered interesting choices. Not only the decision when to release your volley, but the experience system gave a fluent dynamic in which you could gain and lose better units and thus the question in what cases you would prefer to commit your most experienced units and in which you would rather sent in the rookies to preserve your guards.

Compare this to Cossacks 3 in which formations add little and require unnecessary (and annoying!) micro if you want to reform them into bigger ones. just selecting all units and attack move seems to be working easier.

Moreover, we lack all the above mentioned choices; shooters release their volleys at semi-automatic speed and it hardly matters to hold them until you can see the white in your opponents' eyes.

Since you already designed it successfully once, it should be doable to implement this successfully in Cossacks 3

(OC)Fotheringill and Daddio like this.
  2. (OC)Fotheringill

(OC)Fotheringill Active Member

When I pre ordered C3, for some reason I had the features in C2 already in C3 that was to be released. I was wrong.

3. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

It would have been nice to had had a continuation of the series in C3. The next step so to say. That was my expectation early on. But from the start they stated that it was to be a remake of C1. With the stipulation that C3 was only to be the beginning of the new series, and that more advanced games were to follow.

What we did not get then or now is some type of schedule as to when this will occur. Or what type of game will come out of it.

Popular speculation is that AC is next. But I think that a simple remake would just about end all interest for the old timers of the game. We are ready for some improvements in both appearance and game system. Not really willing to wait another 2 - 3 years to see some innovative gaming systems. AC had a lot of faults, Faults frankly that were mostly fixed in the Hawks mod. Any successful remake would have to be a continuation of that mod.

Personally I would love to see them jump to the next step past C2. Which I feel is the best game of the series. And the logical next step.

But we will see. Many of us may hinge our gaming decisions on the direction they plan to go.

Good gaming all,

Daddio

4. hialmar

hialmar Member

I prefer the combat system of Cossacks 1. Cossacks 2 system look like a bad Total War in my opinion. Seing half of the ennemy units fleing and let be killed as sheeps destroy all the pleasure of the battles.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  5. (OC)Fotheringill

I don't know how many years I have left on earth, but I ain't 16 any more. Whatever they do, I hope it is done in an expeditious manner. I have been gaming on line with others since Age of Sail II. I feel I have taken a step back to the game I played right after that one which is going back to Cossacks I.

If this development team is true to its performance in C3, there will be little or no input from those playing C3. They also need people on the team who know how to code the features they want.

Still waiting for the Mac version of C3.

Daddio likes this.
  6. [PR]Ernest

[PR]Ernest Moderator Staff Member

I am waiting for macOS version too.

Daddio likes this.
  7. Aistis1990

Aistis1990 Active Member

I bought c3 just because it is like c1 arcade game. If it would be like c2 it would be a tragedy. Ofc c2 Battle for Europe was awesome gameplay vs very hard AI and sometimes against people. But when i tried to play on multiplayer... the game is super boring and doesnt have anything to offer. You can have super swuads and they will flee once enemy will take down its morrale by firing at long distances and dealing 0 dmg. Or on whole map u will see n formations duged up and doing nothing.
    I love c3 the way it is because of its simpliness . The thing it lack : a bit more diversity not to be just carnage 1x1 in fast basis and needs somethingnlike fortifications , hills , pantoon bridges. Something that adds tactics gameplay.
    The other thing is c3 soundtracks. There are like 4 or 6 soundtracks that are nice to listen other might impair your hearing... too much of simphony and no simple remembered tune. C3 lacks some more units and elegance of which 18c is known for. Officiers , pistols , fife and drums , standard bearers. Cannons could have squads that could make game more tactical than it is now. As art provides lot of advantage its con could be deploying them and using them because it could react much slower. Like in c2 or AQ . And ofc when you ask for c2 system in c3 what do you actually hope? That devs will remake whole game to suit some of you? Maybe you will be happy , but other sidebof people including myself will quit c3 the moment c2 system here could be installed. Try to enjoy on what devs have created and try to suggest something what could get easilly achievable and make this game at its best :)

8. Daddio

This debate has gone on for years. Many like the simplistic C1, and others prefer the more complicated, and realistic play of C2. I like both, but much more prefer the C2 combat, and economic style of play. It is true that the formations were too easy to break. But this could be easily fixed.

We can only hope that C4 will incorporate a change in the game similar or better than the C2 model.

Daddio

9. (OC)Fotheringill

C4?????
    Before they fix Mac for C3?
    That is somewhat ass end backwards.

[PR]Ernest likes this.
  10. Daddio

I agree, But if it was worth the time to fix c3 to run Mac. it would have been done by now?

It may be a little harsh but Mac's are not made for gaming. they are more of a home PC/social networking/ Business PC. Apple has restricted, and coded their systems so as to discourage anyone besides themselves to offer products.

11. [PR]Ernest

I totally disagree, it is only your mental barrier. Most of mac computers have very good specification, which is probably better than 90% pc. In addition mac has bigger support with games than gnu/linux - you can just look at steam games. There is more games for mac than for linux and steam statistics shows very clear that there is much more mac gamers than linux.
    Developers have promised many times about macOS version since the release windows version date and during this time many people bought cossacks 3 because it was said about mac version. They cannot abandon it at this moment.

12. (OC)Fotheringill

I believe if they knew how to do it, it would have been done some time in 2016.

13. [PR]Ernest

You are wrong, because linux version was released month or two months ago. I believe that after finishing linux version, they are focused on mac version.

14. Daddio

don't get me wrong, they promised it, and they should do it.

But I think if they were able they would have done it by now. I think the small pool of players who would actually buy it is fairly small compared to the effort (time and resources) it would take.

15. [PR]Ernest

You are right, the pool is small because mac users had bought the game before release date the same as windows users. I would like to remind that all systems should get their versions in one time with windows release. Many people bought this game and are still waiting for it.

ney, Kamilow and Daddio like this.
  16. (OC)Fotheringill

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice