Dutch translation help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by de Groot, Sep 19, 2018.

1. de Groot

de Groot New Member

Hello I am a Dutch player passionate about history and the truth that this game I love, there are also campaigns about the history of my country as the war dutch vs portugese by Brazil.

I would like to translate the game little by little into my language. I would like to start with the campaigns, they would like to tell me how to translate the dialogues of the campaigns and the names of the civilizations to put it in dutch, later I will do the rest

2. Foeurdr

Foeurdr Moderator Staff Member

If you want to start by translating the campaigns look in your Cossacks3 folder, you can find campaigns texts in data\locale\*language\missions\missions.txt.
    You will see things like : "@q.greetings" above each line, keep them as they are, those are strings and don't appear on the in game text but are important for the game to show the appropriate text.
    When you open text files they open by default in notepad, not the nicest thing to work on. I would advise to open with a better text software.

Good luck, it's a long work to translate all of this.
    Once you have made good progress you can even ask the developper to put your translation officially in the game :)

3. de Groot

de Groot New Member

It would be nice the truth, although it is a short-term project in my spare time

I would also like to know how to translate the names of countries, units and buildings

4. Foeurdr

Foeurdr Moderator Staff Member

For countries, units and buildings, you can find them in data\locale\*language\units.txt.
    • upgrades.txt. is for everything related to technologies in academy, blacksmith, etc
    • gui.txt. is for things related to the user interface
    • tools.txt. contain everything in options

(the 2 files under don't exist if you look in data\locale\en)
    • new.text contains things that weren't there at release and were added in patch or dlcs, more options or the advisor for exemple. For some reason it also has a list about animals, I don't know why !
    • I don't know what misc.text. is for, seems to be the statistics at the end of a game

• style.txt and tooltip.text aren't used in translation

5. Bodun

Bodun Administrator Staff Member

Hello, de Groot.

After changing the txt files you'd have to use special tool to transform them into *.lng ones: tool.
    It's usage is pretty straightforward:
    editorlang.exe name.txt name.lng c
    where name.txt is the file you've edited. Then replace the files in your locale folder.

Best regards.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice