Essentials Mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Original-Cossacks-Player, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Original-Cossacks-Player

Original-Cossacks-Player Active Member

So I had a think about it and already I know there are 3 things this game needs more than anything, so before I start the eye candy mod (which wouldn't take too long to do and is not too important) I would like to start a mod called the "Essentials Mod" which would have the following:

Trade
    Mini Map Signal
    Towers built into wall structure

All will require coding changes which means source code which obviously GSC won't make available for obvious reasons, but I can look into it.

It shouldn't be too hard to implement trade as its a matter of making a waypoint to an allies market, waypoints are already available in the game so thats easily solved, pack horses/mules are already in the game so its just a matter of them being produced at the market again this is easy. The coding side of it is a matter of working out for x amount of time/distance the pack horse travels from allied market to players market and x amount of gold it brings.
    Trade would also be done by sea, so from the shipyard to allies shipyard, if anyone has some images of what a merchant/trade ship should look like from this period, circa 16th/17th century this would help my modeling side of things. Other question is should a merchant/trade ship be armed? Or rely on a convoy of ships for protection?

Mini map signal like the one from Age of Empires 2 when you can signal to your allies on the map something important, this is essential for multiplayer.

Towers built into walls shouldn't be too hard because already you can build gates into the walls, so would need to find the snippet of code responsible for this and go from there.

2. Privateer

Privateer Active Member

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  3. Anatotitan

Anatotitan Active Member

I'm not quite sure what the trade system will achieve. You can already just send ressources to allies, can you? Atleast you could in C1. Would it generate gold or what? However I agree that the ability to send ressources to allies should be bound to wether you own a marketplace or not.

I think marketplaces automatically generating some gold through taxes seems like an interesting idea. Maybe give it a few "tax reform" research options in the academy that don't cost much but take very long or need you to be in the XVIII century. Though I am not sure how to balance that since it would either give too much in early game or too little in late game, so maybe scale it around your population with some formula? Just an idea I'm throwing out there.
    Also, obviously marketplaces should grow in costs extremely strongly after one is build as to not exploit this feature.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice