[GUIDE] New Mod manager and Steam Workshop

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mark Kandaurov, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Mark Kandaurov

Mark Kandaurov Well-Known Member

hat2.png
    A short guide about new Mod Manager and the Steam Workshop functionality.

So, If you want to upload your mod to Steam Workshop, you will need:

• Mod folder in the Cossacks 3/mods/ directory.
    • A thumbnail (logo) in .jpg or .png any size (But I recommend 900x900). Place this file into /mods/~YourModFolder~/data/images/
    • A description for your mod.
    • Steam Service Subscriber Agreement signature

First of all - check your mod files. If it replaces files in /data/gui and /data/scripts directories - your mod will not compatible with all players in Multiplayer. And If not - You can safely report about full compatibility with Multiplayer in Description.

To begin the process of adding your mod to Workshop - launch Mod-manager, check your mod and press 'Create in Workshop'.
    Next step - filling information.
    1. PublishedFileId - It is your mod workshop ID. Do not touch this (You probably can't), manager generates it himself.
    2. OwnerSteamID - Your SteamID. Also, do not touch.
    3. ContentFolder - Your Mod folder. It makes no sense to change this field.
    4. *PreviewFile - Your thumbnail path. For example: 'mods/~YourModFolder~/data/images/yourlogo.jpg'
    5. *Visibility - It is easy. Public - access for everyone. Friends - access for your friend and you. Private - access for you.
    6. *Title - The name of your mod in Workshop
    7. *Description - Description in Workshop. Enter what you are prepared to describe. You can also use this.
    8. URL - Any link to your mod page on other sites.
    9. Tags - Tags, separated by commas. I recommend using one or more of these: Gameplay, Visual, UI, Maps, Units, Scenarios, Overhaul.
    10. Changenote - Any text, about changes in this version of your mod.
    11. Depot - It contains a list of your mod files. There is no need to change.
    * - Important.

After all this steps - press OK and wait until your mod is loaded. Then, check the section "Your modifications" in Steam Workshop.
    If all went well - you will see your mod there. If you do not see the name and logo - try again. If it happens again - write in this thread about the problem.
    If everything is alright - you can change Workshop Page if you want. For example, you can add few screenshots, multi-language descriptions, youtube video and more.

How to make Updates?
    Very easy. Just put the new version of your mod to the same folder. Launch Modmanager, check your mod and press 'Upload to Workshop'.
    Then change what you want (especially Changenote) and Press OK. Done.

Please feel free to ask questions about the topic.

Q: Modmanager does not start.
    A: Make sure you launch it directly from Steam.

Q: What means 'will not compatible with all players in Multiplayer'?
    A: This means that everyone who enters the lobby - have to agree to the installation of your mod.
    upload_2017-2-4_16-11-33.png
    upload_2017-2-4_16-11-56.png

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Ivenend, Ferox, Ebel and 3 others like this.
  2. Ftoomsh

Ftoomsh Well-Known Member

I appreciate that getting one's mod before more potential users is a good thing. However, I would like to know what new functionality the Mod Manager and Steam Workshop give to the Modder. After each patch, a mod made with the Mod Manager has needed full file-compare/file-merge checks and an overhaul to get it working again. This can take hours, though I am slowly getting better at it and implementing better protocols. Then it has to be tested again for regression; that is loss of functions, going backwards etc.

Does the updated Mod Manager start to provide any genuine code hooking for example?

3. A. Soldier

A. Soldier Active Member

Thanks, however I still can't figure out on how to upload preview pictures or at least it's giving me trouble.

And it's annoying if you make a mistake with it since you need to reupload the item because you can't change it.

4. Mark Kandaurov

Its very easy, actually. Just put square JPG picture (as I recomended, 900x900 pixels) into your mod directory, and set the path to it in Mod-manager.
    For example, I have the logo here:
    Code:
    D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Cossacks 3\steamapps\Cossacks 3\mods\MGraphics - Dark Water\images\darkwater-logo.jpg
    And I fill the 'PreviewFile' field like this:
    Code:
    mods\MGraphics - Dark Water\images\darkwater-logo.jpg
    It works fine for me.

Yes, you cant change the thumbnail from the Steam Workshop. But you can update your mod with new logo, as I showed in 1st post.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    A. Soldier likes this.
  5. Mark Kandaurov

It just had synchronizer. All players, who wants to join host's lobby - must download a modifications, which are installed in the host's game.
    And their modifications automatically disabled.

Sorry for my English.

Ftoomsh likes this.
  6. Ftoomsh

Ftoomsh Well-Known Member

I understand. That function is certainly useful. I assume it means they both get the correct mod automatically downloaded when they join a mod game and their own mods are automatically turned off. This is a great feature.

Some mods, like Old Cossacks' OCMODLITE are regularly updated. I assume we can always post the updated mod, latest version, into the Steam Workshop?

7. Mark Kandaurov

Yes, of course.

Npeter87 likes this.
  8. Furious Peasant

Furious Peasant Active Member

Thank you Mark Kandaurov for this tutorial.

How long does it take until steam workshop items appear in public library?
    I successfully uploaded my mod to the workshop and now it is visibble under my own files but not in the public library. (The visibility of this item is set on public.)

Let's see...

9. Mark Kandaurov

If you did everything correctly - after 20 minutes, it will be visible to all.

10. A. Soldier

A. Soldier Active Member

Talk about upload speed haha.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice