Is Cossacks 3 going to have a physical copy?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Nick, May 30, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Active Member

Is Cossacks 3 going to have a physical copy as well rather then just a digital copy? Because there are many people who would possibly prefer a physical copy or the choice of both not just a digital version. If you can clarify this for us all thanks.

Ogon and [RO]Proof like this.
  2. Cossack

Cossack Administrator Staff Member

Right now, question of physical copy is in discussion inside our company and with distribution partners. I don't know for sure. I know that many players ask us to make physical copy, but in most cases, this is depends of distibution companies. So we are working on this.

3. Andrej

Andrej New Member

Great news, I agree that the physical copy is the best. You get the most value for the money. I have still a great pleasure when I take the original Cossacs ( with paper box! ) in my hand or/and "Back to war" and all American conquest versions from the common DVD box. There is so called " owner's feelling". For example, I do not like the games from Steam. What will happen in next 15 years, maybe there will be no downloads any more ( we do not know, and with physical copy, we do not care ), but with physical copy, You just install it and enjoy it!

Ogon likes this.
  4. Masher

Masher Active Member

Sadly it doesn't work like that anymore, as with my physical copies of Cossacks 1 and 2 plus American conquest none of them run on Windows 8.1. I had to buy the Steam versions to be able to play again. So even box copies are useless as newer OS comes out.

I do prefer physical copies my self, i like to own the box for my games. That said, i love it when i can buy the box and take the code and enter it on Steam and just download it and enjoy the best of both worlds. :)

Ogon likes this.
  5. fly

fly Active Member

While I'd personally prefer to own a physical copy of Cossacks 3 as well, it is understandable that offering them is usually not financially worthwhile for smaller publishers nowadays.

6. Masher

Masher Active Member

Exactly, RTS genre is very small, and Cossacks it's self is even smaller than your usual Command and Conquer type of games. A physical copy might be more than it's worth to the devs. That said i have no issues with Steam, so i'll be happy its on there.

7. Nick

Nick Active Member

What do you mean RTS genre is very small? RTS is the biggest well none genre on pc...

8. Masher

Masher Active Member

Not sure if sarcasm... hard to tell through text but It's no where near the biggest genre on PC. yes it is bigger on PC than console, but compared to other genres such as RPG's etc it is tiny. It was amazing during 90's and early 2000's when we had so many RTS games. Then it slowed right down.

I don't believe that it is a dying grenre like so many claim, but it is a niche market in comparison to most.

9. Nick

Nick Active Member

Well it did use to be until I just checked...:eek:

10. Ettribute

Ettribute New Member

I wouldn't mind a physical copy myself, but I'm not really opposed to a digital only release.

I'm just excited for the game's release. I went the way of Command and Conquer: Red Alert and Cossacks series, rather than Starcraft and Age of Empires; It was unfortunate EA had to kill off Westwood Studios and I didn't think there would be another Cossacks game, so at least there's some good news in the end.

11. Snuffy

Snuffy Active Member

I would prefer a physical disc. I do not play MP or online much so to have a stand alone physical copy so I do not have to be logged online to play a private skirmish would be great.

Andrej likes this.
  12. Ogon

Ogon Active Member

Yes, as dedicated fans we are so passionate about the game, that we miss the fact that it has been a niche product so far. I loved the game since 2001 but it was not until I started playing it online with live opponents when I discovered the depth and full potential of C1.

Sadly enough online multiplayer audience has been a niche in the niche making the market size even smaller.

To some extent I think it has been shortage of marketing power behind the distributor (now bankrupted) CDV. One of the reasons C1 was not popular in the US was the non-existing marketing budget for the US market. I am actually more optimistic with Steam as distributor, The marketing budget question remains valid of course.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice