Multibar cannon

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Voyager, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Voyager

Voyager Member

Hi there!

Just wondering about "multibar cannon" in cossacks game..
    As i know the first machine gun was invented in the mid-19th century.
    So is this a historical gun?
    I would like to know more information from this gun.
    Hopefully a more experienced person can give me the answer. :)

2. Foeurdr

Foeurdr Moderator Staff Member

It's in fact multiple little cannons that fired successively a bit like a ribaudequin (the Cossacks encyclopedia says it's one, never seen this design though). You can find those cannon since the end of the middle age, they are designed against infantry at short distance and useless against fortification, they are quiet long to rearm since you had to do it for each gun.

3. Field Marshall

Field Marshall Active Member

As far as I know, I might be wrong, such cannons did not actually exists. They were cannon that resembled existing cannons such as Gatling guns and other creations of the time in functionality but the shape that GSC actually gave them doesn't seem to appear anywhere referenced. I did some research on the subject but maybe if we had an original name we could find more information but other than that such cannons were neither popular nor very relevant at the time if they don't appear in record of 17th-18th century warfare. Do not misunderstand me I mean the shape not the ribaudequin.

This might just be a great example of Cossacks going for non-realistic fantasy stuff. I want to get this settled. This is a great candy to use in other realism discussions.

Would you be kind enough to provide some sort of link or something that we can use as reference. I can't find anything on this.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  4. Voyager

Voyager Member

I interested in realistic warfare so this is quite interesting for me..

5. Field Marshall

Why want so much realism when you know the game is not a simulator?

6. Unikron

Unikron Active Member

condor_fly and Foeurdr like this.
  7. Voyager

Voyager Member

Correct i know this is not a simulator but still how do you like a game which is stated in 18th century with tanks from 20th century. (just a weird example)
    But don't get me wrong i like the game what i have seen already. :)

[PR]Ernest likes this.
  8. Voyager

Voyager Member

9. Foeurdr

Sure if you don't mind them being a bit too medieval :p
    the basic wikipédia link : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribauldequin
    Here a youtube exemple from reenactor :

I was still searching for more good links but I thinks your are a lot better, thanks Unikron

The_Hussar likes this.
  10. Unikron

Unikron Active Member

This is a weapons of Cossacks - "ozhyha"

Foeurdr and The_Hussar like this.
  11. Field Marshall

Thank you for the links. I'm learning about history of Europe more than what they teach in westerns schools. In fact Ukraine is a country that is almost unknown to the U.S. If it wasn't because it was in the map and the conflicts with Russia. Almost no information about historical details such as this in English, only summaries.

12. Unikron

Unikron Active Member

I am glad to help:)

13. condor_fly

condor_fly Administrator Staff Member

Yeesss "Hell organ" by Nartov 1741, this is a nightmare for all CossacksBacktoWar world non-armored inhabitants:confused:
    44 small caliber mortars used for the close battle fire
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But I think, that in the real life this weapon was so effective as like as russian Tsar-Cannon, wich has never shooting and like Tsar-Bell, wich has never chiming;)

Now that thing mach more effectively
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    Nowy and Foeurdr like this.
  14. Ogon

Ogon Active Member

They did exist in different formats, but reloading one took at least 30 minutes if nt longer. So the rate of fire should severely modified

Foeurdr likes this.
  15. condor_fly

I read that "Hell organ" make firing by straddle by section of 7 mortars, while other are reloading
    The rebel Yemelian Pygachov used this cannon against Tsarica Catherina II troops so now it's colls "Pygachov's cannon"

Foeurdr likes this.
  16. Foeurdr

7 ? I would have thought it was five by five on the picture or maybe there is different model (Or I'm wrong but shhh).
    As far as cannon are concerned I think the Ottoman are really good at this with things like their bombard, would be a nice addition if the artillery could differ a bit between nation in Cossacks 3

17. condor_fly

I read that this cannon have the chambers for 7 mortars so it can make straddle by section of 7 mortars, NOT ONE by ONE like in game C1

18. Nowy

Nowy Well-Known Member

All these multi barrels were ineffective in practical combats on battlefields that's why they were rarely met there.
    Few variants of multibarels were used sometimes in defensive purposes during sieges.

Fine example you can see in old Polish movie "Pan Wolodyjowski", when Turks stormed Kamenets Podolski.

19. Foeurdr

You are joking Nowy ? Ribaudequin were still in use for a long time and proved themselve efficient since the hundred years war when they saw their first use in Europe. They are build to fire at once a deadly volley against ennemy infantry or cavalry to disorganize them.

edit : I think they fell out use when cannon gained thing like the grapeshot to deal with the infantry or the cavalry, cannon became then able to fulfill both role. Not because they are ineffective but because something more versatile took their place.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  20. Ogon

Ogon Active Member

Ok I am in Warsaw right now. Just a short visit, like a little raid, raiding the local pubs, burning, plundering and raping, routine activities. The museum of the army here used to have two 17th c. multi barrel cannons. I will visit on Saturday and if they are still there I will take pictures for the forum.

condor_fly and Foeurdr like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice