Muskets Walk Forward Bug

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Ftoomsh, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Ftoomsh

Ftoomsh Well-Known Member

It's hard to think of a good name for this bug. All I can call it is the "Muskets Walk Forward" bug. Let me describe it. This bug does not appear to the host player but does appear to non-host players (clients I guess is the term).

Musket units hold their muskets in three positions in the vanilla game. These positions are "shouldered arms", "at ready" and "aim to shoot". When standing still, or standing still after a walk move, the musket units will have shouldered arms as if on parade. Also, walking forward without going on attack they will carry arms in the shouldered position.

If you tell the muskets to go an attack, they will adopt the muskets "at ready" position and walk forward on attack. When contact is made with the enemy, the musket units will raise their musket to the aim position and fire.

In musket unit battles with formations, you will notice some musket units no longer have their muskets at the aim position which they should have in vanilla since there are no reload graphics. These misbehaving musket units will have their muskets back at the "at ready" position again. Some of these musket units will then walk forward even though they are already in range to shoot at the enemy. Note, only clients, and not the host, will see this. The worse the internet lag is the worse this gets as far as I can tell.

The muskets that appear to be walking into the enemy and back again are not really doing this in the host's engine and on the host's screen, so far as I can tell, but only on the non-host's screen.

This bug definitely happens in vanilla but maybe happens more if formations are used. This bug gets worse in appearance if modders encourage more formation use and also increase reload times in their mod.

This however is a genuine vanilla bug. It originates in vanilla. I can say this after a lot of tests. You can see this bug in replays too.

Can we have a fix to this bug please? :)

It will help large formation battles look better on the non-host screens in both vanilla and mods. Big battles will be easier to manage too, if all soldiers are in the right place rather than some moving around in ghost positions rather than in their real positions.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  2. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

I linked ungar to this thread so he will see it.

3. Poppadomus

Poppadomus Member

You shouldn't have to link anyone to the thread, anyone who is involved in the project should be active on the forums rather than a PR blackout.

4. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

So youre saying i should be a lazy slob and not do anything about a game i want to be good because im a moody kid.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice