New Buildings

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Hugojackson18, Oct 5, 2016.

1. Alatristé

Alatristé Member

Very good work. looking forward to see more!

2. Hugojackson18

Hugojackson18 Member

So here it is, my castle, in-game. It's replacing the Austrian Temple at the moment. It was interesting because it rotated it 90 degrees with the Austrian temple, that it didnt have when I replaced it with the Prussian Barracks. I guess every building has a certain default rotation assigned to them.

So here's a screenshot. Know that the texture is still likely to change (texture is only WIP), I will add more things to it in the future, but as a first test, I think it's fine.
    [​IMG]

If anyone wants the files, just send me a message (my file is too big to be uploaded here apparently)

3. Stu

Stu Active Member

It looks great and fits right in. To have achieved a new building modded into the game without any modding tools released or guides as to how achieve it is great work. At the moment it seems that the modding possibilities are endless.

Not for now but in the future I would really appreciate a guide to help me understand how to get buildings/units into the game. I modded for AC/FB and learnt how to create and animate units and buildings but I found I could not work out the mechanics of getting models into the game for myself. I benefited hugely from a basic step by step guide to get me started and to learn from there so I hope people will share their expertise in due course.

Anyway, fab stuff.

Hugojackson18 likes this.
  4. Hugojackson18

Hugojackson18 Member

Thanks! At the moment I'm juste replacing an existing building with mine. I am waiting on a step by step guide to add new buildings as well! A. Soldier said he will provide one soon

5. Alatristé

Alatristé Member

Hello. So I do not find that "harmony is perfect." The size of the building is different and I think the model could be improved, including the tower. But honestly very good job, I hate to see more! Good luck

6. Hugojackson18

Hugojackson18 Member

Yeah I need to work more on the texture so it fits better. Looking at it again it's too dark compared to the other buildings.

The model was made before Cossacks 3 and it wasnt modeled with Cossacks in mind, so there's loads of things that I planned on making with Normal Maps and other textures but the limitations of the engine prevented me to do that.

It's merely a test at this point!

7. RenegadeKraken

RenegadeKraken New Member

Why not make that a special defensive structure that can spawn 18c musketeers and have a defensive cannon? Kinda like Cossacks 2 Poland.

8. Alatristé

Alatristé Member

I think for now we must leave hugo continue tests on inportation of buildings in the game, before you reflect upon potential improvements. For such a system upgrade of the XVIIe barracks to give access to the XVIIIe units, rather than having two different periods for each barracks.

9. A. Soldier

A. Soldier Active Member

Can be done, my initial idea was to use it as a level 2 blockhouse with cannons like in American Conquest.

Altho giving it access to 18th Century musketeers is going a bit overboard if you ask me.

Hugo asked me how to give me the building already so we can try to implement it into the game.

I told him to try to upload it to dropbox and told Kiergath to stand by tonight so we can try it.

For now he was only able to replace an already in game building sadly, we'll try to make it it's own thing.

10. Hugojackson18

Hugojackson18 Member

Yeah my aim is not to make mods, but rather make models and buildings to give to other people for them to implement it. I'm not interested into coding or anything. I just want to see other people make awesome things with my stuff!

@A. Soldier I will have a look at your message and send you the stuff

11. Alatristé

Alatristé Member

Okay, well thank you. If you want I can help you for the edition textures, being graphic designer of profession I would be delighted to help you if you need

12. A. Soldier

A. Soldier Active Member

It was just a simple message that a dropbox link would suffice.

Oh and, we added the Blockhouse which was already in the game to the peasants in order to be built by them by default, not that we have figured out how to add custom buildings, yet.

Might I give you a request of trying to give each nation's proper 17th and 18th Century uniforms?

For example, Russia had dark green and red uniforms in the 18th Century which would be perfect for their muskteers in the game, Sweden had bright blue uniforms or something like that and so forth, I even thought about making a topic about it, requesting someone take it upon himself to make each current nation's proper uniform texture.

It's just basically replacing the current dull generic colors, that's all. However, as an assembler modder I have no idea on how textures and models work.

Hit me up if you're interested or have progress on the said request.

Cheers.

13. Alatristé

Alatristé Member

Hey, as they say "the great minds it encounters" For textures we'll see when we will work on it. Otherwise I have already started to collect uniforms 18th for existing factions games. It takes time but I create a Story Idea when I have enough paper.

14. Hugojackson18

Hugojackson18 Member

Thanks mate, that's my favorite part of the job on buildings though!
    @A. Soldier what would be beneficial in terms of texturing to ask one of the developpers of Cossacks you have on steam what their process was in terms of texturing, light baking etc. I can see all buildings have a Top Y Light baked in for exemple. Would be amazing to have some insight on their workflow so we know how to make our textures for them to fit better.

Unfortunately, I didn't bring the files with me at work so I will send them to you first thing tonight. If you managed to add the blockhouse, you should be able to add anything the same way I assume.

It would be great to have a way to re-use .actors files for Flags and stuff like that. Maybe @egnaro can integrate this to the model viewer?

15. A. Soldier

A. Soldier Active Member

Alright thanks, keep me updated.

Oh and, if you want, you can add me on Steam as well, I'll add you to our modding group there too, link is in my signature.

I thought it was a bit easier than that seeing as how @Furious_Peasant made an all white Grenadier uniform for the Prussians but alright.

I'm not sure wether or not they'll reply to me tho, haven't so far.

16. Hugojackson18

Hugojackson18 Member

Would just be good to have some insight. Hopefully they will release some tutorials like they said...

17. A. Soldier

A. Soldier Active Member

Excuse me, I meant whether but misspelled it. And yeah I'll ask them when I get the chance. You can try as well if you're feeling lucky tho, nothing bad with trying.

18. Setakat

Setakat Member

I've had a quick visual poke through the files, and it looks like adding custom buildings appears to be more or less the same process that my units tutorial uses, just editing different parts of the same configs.

I'll actually need to do it to confirm though, but I'm going to see if I can make a custom blockhouse (with less damage and lower RoF) as a defensive structure for Ukraine, since they don't have a tower. It'll be a couple of hours before I can get started, have some other stuff to do in the meantime.

19. A. Soldier

A. Soldier Active Member

That's not really a custom building, the model and texture and everything else is already in the game.

Our problem right now is how to get actual community made custom units and buildings in the game.

I can even tell you how to add the Blockhouse if you want to, you just have to edit them in unit.script and country.script, that's all.

As for adding community made stuff I guess it's the same as the turkish archer and light cav in those files, problem is, telling them to use those textures and models.

20. Hugojackson18

Hugojackson18 Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice