News and Updates Discussion

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Field Marshall, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

The caisson animation in C2 for use on the roads was an amazing option. It was just too poorly animated in the game to work, but a brilliant concept.

Pushing cannons down roads never looked correct.

The Calvary light cannons in the Hawks mod was the best approach I have seen.

If the modders combine the actions and crews of C2 and the caisson animations of Hawks mod, we will have made tremendous strides it the cassock world.

Daddio

2. Tsuki

Tsuki Active Member

i hope devs make American conquest remake as well as a bonus to whoever preorder will get it for free :)
    and for the rest 10$

The_Hussar likes this.
  3. Stu

Stu Active Member

The bare reality is that we just want a versatile game engine from which to create our own visions of a RTS game.]
    For a development company to even be willing to try to give us this, and a game attached, in this age of money over all is a tremendous thing and the community should collectively say:

"Regardless of individual hopes and dreams thank you to the developers for making the foundations of a game upon which we can begin to build. Thank you for your efforts because without you this genre would die and we would be left with but memories of a distant era. Work hard and work well and above all keep working and give us ours and your game!"

That is what it comes down to in my view... Keep going!

4. Loner

Loner Well-Known Member

Well said Stu.:cool:

5. Tsuki

Tsuki Active Member

Holy moly Stu You read my mind:D
    I will buy cossacks 3 regardless of errors or graphical mistakes (cannon explosions)
    but i know modders will give me many more fun with their games :)

6. Nowy

Nowy Well-Known Member

I think that devs could better recreate artillery even without moral.
    Larger death rate is not one way. This clearly lead to insane no art games.

Artillery usually supported infantry and cavalry by weakening enemy troops, destroying fortifications and buildings.
    These roles are properly doable even without moral and large death ratio.

Cannons, howitzers and mortars at that period were powerful, but inacurate at long range.
    Nevertheless they can seriously weaken or destroy enemy troops. They were very dangerous in close range.

These mean artillery in the game could be powerful, but it would be fine implement different damage zones to represent worse accuracy at long range. For instance in close range 40% cannon's round shots can hit targets, in medium range 2o% and in long range 10% and max. range only occasionally. Then artillery will needs more shots to hit targets.

These somehow decrease "artillery power", but artillery still will be necessary.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  7. Masher

Masher Active Member

That seems like a good way for a bunisness to go bust. We have to support them by buying their products or we will never see another Cossacks/American Conquest game again. :)

[PR]Ernest and condor_fly like this.
  8. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

Well I am not insane! And I prefer no-art games.

I do not think we can use 100% the same hit rate from history. The games would be too long. 1, 2, 3 days of constant bombardment would not work on a game that most like to last no longer than 30 - 60 minutes.

Some concessions need to be made for the games sake. It all comes down to balance, and what works for you the gamer.

Just like any game a unit, or any other "Piece" that is used to play a part in a game. It should not be any more overpowering than the counter to that unit.

Cossacks has a fairly good balance to those who will take the time to learn that part of the game.

Now i agree that the art is too powerful. but in a game context it works.

Cossacks, and especially C1 BTW was not a historical recreation game, It was an arcade like game that used historical based units.

The beauty of C3 is that we will be able to easily mod the changes we would like to see ourselves.

In the end, this is the only way I can see to make everyone happy?

Good Gaming,

Daddio

9. Nowy

Nowy Well-Known Member

Hey Daddio, I never said that you are insane, I only said no-art games are insane. These are two different cases.

I think that devs can use historical accuracy tests as reference to artillery in the game.
    This never will prolong games over few days, becouse you never get similar as real army size in the game.

Accuracy tests are good to recreate hit ratio in the game without a doubt.
    This is much better than crazy mass killings known from many games.

There are other games which better recreate artillery power and accuracy.
    For instance C2 game much better recreate artillery shots and hit effects.

I'm sorry, but C1 game was not fairly good balansed. I could say this game was imbalanced.
    You know all these OP units serdiuks, cossacks, dragoons, grenadiers, artillery etc.

Modding never solve all problems. Vanilla game should include well recreated basic things.
    Therefore it would be fine when devs improve artillery in C3 game, making atillery less accurate.
    They could find lot of info in that matter, many real tests and historical data. I already showed where they could read and watch videos, how artillery worked at balck gun powder period. This could help, I suppose.

There still will lot of things worthy to modding, even for artillery variations.

Lorenzo Paoli and [PR]Ernest like this.
  10. [PR]Ernest

[PR]Ernest Moderator Staff Member

In cossacks 1 there was no units balance. Look at Denmark, Prussia or Ukraine. I think that removing 400% stone upgrade would solve most of economy problems. I think too that mods are not so important because most of people will play normal game - that's why vanilla should be the best without help of mods.
    Most of people play without artillery so this is not as important as units balance in recruiting time and with their power for me.

Masher and Nowy like this.
  11. Nowy

Nowy Well-Known Member

Proper units recreation, correct effects, nations balance and many other things are important in the game.

That's why I have started threads about "units stats", "ships", "economy" in the game long time ago.
    I started C3 wish list to gather fans feelings about needed changes or corrections in tha game. Recently I add threads about C3 nations, mercenaries, army order of battle, movement and deployment. All these with intention to discuss these matters and help developers to research these problems in the game.

That's why I cast many critical words about some elements presented in their screenshots and videos too.

Cossacks games are interesting for many people, but these games had many flaws which are fixable.
    However devs needs some feedback, the best is from their fans community which know old RTS games and can say what could be improeved in new game.

Open discussions are helpful, even they sometimes get on sombeody's nerves.

12. Andrej

Andrej New Member

After watching the latest video ( Cossacks 3 diplomacy ) I have to admit, that the game looks very nice from graphical stand point. Animations are very nice also. So very good work here. Even the detailing of the soldiers is on high level.

But... The gameplay looks just like the one in the original game. Everything too basic, cannons without crews, the feeling of reality is not present. It looks awesome for a Cossacks 1, but not very good for Cossacks 3. I get the idea, that this is the reborn original game, but today young players demand more and more improvements and features.
    Just for the ilustration: I don't think, that the GTA V would be a succesful, if the gamewould look the same as the GTA III with better graphic. If your target is to get more new game players, this would be very hard target to reach. There are some non-crititical old fans out there, but this population is relatively small.

Still hoping for the best.

The_Hussar and Nowy like this.
  13. arpe

arpe Active Member

I have another opinion about gameplay. I think is very good only change balans units, all is ok.

[PR]Ernest likes this.
  14. Tsuki

Tsuki Active Member

the only thing this game needs is release Cossacks 1 were best RTS game i ever played not counting Knights and merchants (it have remake supporting 1080p graphic and win 7-8-10 support)
    i dont need any aditionall content just release the game and work hard to improve the game with DLC first one can be Real World DLC adding canons crews more death animations better formations etc we dont need perfect game right from the release look at DayZ standalone game was bad during release still is but how many players play it is just weird
    same fate will be with cossacks no matter how bad gameplay is after release as long as first DLC get attention of customers its all good

15. Phoebus

Phoebus New Member

I think unites was balanced quite well. For example: in late game Denmark was OP but in early game without P.T. you would lose against Turkey or Algeria
    All nations and units had some pros and cons for example some nations didn't have 18 century, some building for some nations was expensive for others cheap etc.
    I want say that nations and units should have pros and cons against others and only skin difference wont enough...

16. Francesco_Cavalli

Francesco_Cavalli Active Member

The problem is that people assume low death rates and slow reload rates are boring - I think even if it makes games last much longer, giving people time to enjoy the graphics and notice the little details the team have put so much effort into will make the game much more appealing to new-comers...look how arcad-y gameplay ruined Rome II

Loner likes this.
  17. Last footage was really great, the game looks gorgeous all the way, really feels like the old Cossacks with all the eye candy in, which is good as it was your aim. Can't wait to put my hands on it!

18. Sakonosolo

Sakonosolo New Member

I'm glad we actually got some combat footage too. I'm kind of disappointed there doesn't seem to be ragdolls though. I was kind of hoping for bodies moving a bit during explosions, but I guess that would be hell on the CPU with so many units. Also the cannons don't seem to be leaving any marks on the terrain. Overall looks basically like Cossacks 1, which is what they wanted, and I'm fine with that. I want some actual gameplay with the hud and everything though.

19. Masher

Masher Active Member

Ragdolls would looks great but would mean much smaller battles as that would tax the system a lot more.

I really would like to see two of the devs sit down and record/stream a match between them selves. or perhaps do one mission so we can see the actual game in real time.

[RO]Proof likes this.
  20. Australian Magic

Australian Magic Active Member

I just hope they will remove balloon from C1. It was so retared to see whole map... Instead I'd like to see some, let's say, watchtowers. Cheap, vunerable with quite big vision but no more balloons, please... Or balloon with random movement with small vision.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice