Prevention of Shooting Through Friendlies

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ftoomsh, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Ftoomsh

Ftoomsh Well-Known Member

I have introduced prevention of shooting through friendly troops in OCMOD3. Basic testing is done but fine testing of game balance will take real multiplayer games.

The way this works is as follows;

(1) Changes in the weapons script, misc.script, miscext2.script and unit script mean the standard musket weapon now checks if a friendly is in the "ray" and it will not fire if this is TRUE;

(2) The originating firing elevation of shooting units (py) is lifted by 0.925 for infantry and 1.0 for cavalry. Graphics are not changed; and

(3) The target elevation is left the same.

The effect of this is that three ranks deep will fire on flat ground and no more. Occasionally a 4th ranker will fire but it is usually after a first ranker dies or if the 4th ranker can get a flank shot (enemy's flank extends beyond his formation and he, the shooter. is on the side of his own formation).

Effects seem okay so far. It's great to stop firing from deep in columns and squares. That looks so wrong IMHO. Plus I have increased musket ranges so that linear tactics will work correctly. Also, more line formations are 3 rank formations or no more than 4 rank. Fine balance is not done yet.

These changes should allow flanking attacks, especially cold steel cavalry attacks from flanks to have a strong effect. It will prevent the frontal charging of bullet blanket attacks, hussars for example, ahead of shooters. Well, you could still do it but such attacks would not work nearly so well. Cavalry will be better employed on the wings or flanks of larger armies.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Awar and Loner like this.
  2. yquinox

yquinox Member

.... looks great! ... where can I find those uploaded files?

3. Ftoomsh

Subscribe to the mod, OCMOD3, in the Steam Workshop. This will place the mod in your directory of steam/steamapps/workshop/content/33420/

The mod will have a big long number for a file name. In my directory the number for OCMOD3 is 888686042. This may be the number it uses in your directory too.

Then just look at the files I changed. Search for // Ftoomsh. Every line I changed should have // Ftoomsh after it. If that doesn't uncover everything use WinMerge to compare vanilla files to mine. Have a separate copy of vanilla files. Don't use your vanilla game files... but I am sure you know that. :)

I am going to put a performance report below this post.

4. Ftoomsh

I tested OCMOD3 in a big game yesterday. I had performance issues but these issues also happen to me in the vanilla game. Because I live in Australia and my game host was on the east coast of the USA, I had high ping to the host. I also have internet that is not that great. It is now Broadband but not really any faster than ADSL2. My PC probably also needs more memory. I am not sure which of these (or all) is causing me problems as a client to the host. But I suspect C3 itself has performance issues when player unit numbers get high. We both got to over 5,000 units each (peasants plus troops).

In the big battle I saw this on my PC display;

(1) Huge numbers of the opponent's troops shrunk into two concentrated blobs each the size of a coin, I kid you not. Thousands of troops in each blob! Even deliberate formation stacking or concentration by attack command cannot do that... or can it?

(2) My troops lost all formation, spread out and marched through his super-blobbed troops as if all troops were ghosts and could walk through each other.

Of course, managing a battle with this display is impossible. What is happening when the game does this? I couldn't even see if the no shooting through friendlies was working. I could not see any troops in proper lines.

Eventually the battle resolved and the winner was my opponent. In terms of troop numbers alone he should have won so that was a correct outcome. But considering it was impossible to manage formations and thus utilize tactics, the whole point of the game and my mod was ruined.

Do other people have this experience with large troop numbers? Is my game just desynching or something? It seems there is no fundamental outcome calculation desynch but the graphics desysnch is total at my end. What a mess! Is there any solution to this?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice