tools needed for creating custom designs for new units?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by HaruHaru, Oct 9, 2018.

1. HaruHaru

HaruHaru New Member

hello i was wondering what tools are needing for creating custom designed units, i know how to create units i just do not know how to give them like a custom made uniform and gun i could make for them. I have seen other modders have been able to create custom designed units so if anyone can help i would be grateful.

2. Loner

Loner Active Member

I am by no means an expert, all I can do is re-skin an existing model, changing the .dds file. For this, all I use is Adobe Photoshop CS6, hope this helps.:)

3. A. Soldier

A. Soldier Active Member

For creating or editing a model my fellow modders from Age of Mythology use 3dsMax.

But I'm not so sure about here. You could give it a shot tho.

4. Loner

Loner Active Member

Just an example of what can be done, using pandurhun.dds and grenadierhun.dds.
    Before,
    Before.jpg
    After,
    After.jpg

5. HaruHaru

HaruHaru New Member

thank you everyone

Loner likes this.
  6. HaruHaru

HaruHaru New Member

hmm seems im able to open the dds in paint.net and visual studio but making any changes causes the unit to grey out

7. HaruHaru

HaruHaru New Member

it is the model itself in game that gets greyed/blacked out

8. Loner

Loner Active Member

You need Photoshop plus the DDS plugin.:)

9. HaruHaru

HaruHaru New Member

damn looks like ill need to buy it then also have you tried replacing the models uniforms with another games dds textures? i was curious if like importing like armor would work on a unit

10. Loner

Loner Active Member

11. A. Soldier

A. Soldier Active Member

I think GIMP 2 also had a plugin to open up DDS files, might be a good free and legitimate alternative if so? Not 100% sure tho.

12. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

You can definitely use GIMP2 to edit the DDS files but to actually render them sharply enough you need photoshops DDS plugin, because gimp makes them kinda blurry.

You dont notice it that much on most units but on some others itll become glaringly obvious.

13. A. Soldier

A. Soldier Active Member

Thanks for clarifying that. So I guess that if you don't really wanna play the role of Captain Jack Sparrow you have an option to do so.

14. HaruHaru

HaruHaru New Member

downloading now but out of curiosity is it possibly to completely change their uniform with something like armor from a different game ?

15. Francesco_Cavalli

Francesco_Cavalli Active Member

You can’t change the models but you can change their uniforms - with some skill you make them look like they’re wearing anythng. I don’t know if you can change the spec maps (as you could in AOE 3) to make uniforms look shiny like metal armour

16. Loner

Loner Active Member

The first picture is of the grenadierhun.dds, the second is of one of my templates I use based on the same grenadierhun.dds.
    grenadierhun.jpg Template 1.jpg
    The one main thing that you can't change is the headgear, so when creating a new uniform look for a model which has the closest resemblance to that what you want.:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice