Venice Campaign - Idea

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Kamilow, Feb 22, 2017.

?

Do you want to see Venetian Campaign and new units for this faction?

This poll will close on Nov 8, 2017 at 12:26 AM.
  1. Yes

18 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. I don't know

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Burak Damgacı

Burak Damgacı Active Member

Thanks for information Fluffy, Sorry my fault. I haven't said which artillery picture. I said 72.4 KB artillery picture and number 12 is there. I didn't remember Triar bombe picture which you send to me. But It looks like this ship gun. This picture not Russian guns. They are Spanish armada guns I think. I've found Pinterest. I see Venice had strict arm dealing rules. But what if their alliance with Russia or other countries? Allies need guns and weapons. Maybe some of the guns could export this nation to harm the enemy. But I'm afraid I didn't have an information this arms dealing. I must search this and read more books.

2. Fluffy Fishy

Fluffy Fishy Member

I thought that might be the one you are referring to.

They didn't have such strict rules in other military assets, ships were somewhat restricted but there are quite a few examples of a lend lease style system being in place. small arms and armour were frequently traded, this would be the backbone of economic activity in quite a few areas of the Venetian terrafirma. The ban on exporting cannons is just that, the advantage was too great to just sell it away. Venice was a neutral nation that wasn't involved with military alliances in that capacity, when the city was threatened she would call for the support of nations with an interest in fighting back (usually the Ottomans) aggressive nations, so there wasn't ever the circumstances that would leave the situation of that kind of arms trade.

Burak Damgacı likes this.
  3. Burak Damgacı

Thx Fluffy. Good expressions. I see the situation completely. I think this is the my enemy's enemy is my friend situation. I must search deeply the period of the treaty of Karlowitz. Because Ottoman Empire dealt with multiple fronts and lost the battles. Ottomans fell into a decline. Maybe allies helped each other against a common enemy to capture new lands. We don't know. Venice is one of the allies and most likely to help allies. Because of this situation Maybe they suspended the arm trade rule for a while. Bear this in the mind Russia required more ships and artillery. Because of the Black Sea. One other problem; Did Russia use Venice guns or ships or shipbuilders?That's why I must search deeply. All historical events can be interrelated.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  4. Fluffy Fishy

Fluffy Fishy Member

As far as I have always been able to make out the treaty of Karlowitz ending the Great Turkish war wasn't so much a coordinated war between great allies as a cluster of separate smaller wars against a common enemy, Karlowitz just ends these wars in one large peace negotiation. Austria and Venice weren't the most comfortable of allies, their fairly long border and influence over the local region combined with Austrian expansionism meant that the two sides were rather wary of each other, its just they never came to see any real conflict, likely because it would have been taken advantage of by the Turks.

Records of the Russian ships are pretty horrific before 1696 the formalisation into an organised state navy by Peter the Great. What is quite obvious is the difference of styles between Venice and Russia so its very unlikely that they would have been any trade. Russian cannons are much heavier weighted than most of Europe and while I'm not an expert on them I think its fair to say they likely didn't purchase them from abroad, the expansion of the Russian fleet was more a part of the modernisation process that Peter the great spent the vast majority of his reign trying to push. As a person its certainly no secret he loved ships so with his position as monarch he built a large number of them, conscious that Russia was vulnerable from naval assault in both the Baltic and Black seas. Russian artillery is something I am less sure of, but judging that their guns as far as I can work out were iron cast using its much more likely they were developed internally with influences from Sweden, The Netherlands and Britain especially as Peter was always looking easterly. There may also be a large degree of influence from the Ottomans, who also favoured large poundage weapons.

I'm not aware of any exceptions or suspensions to the restrictions of Venetian cannon trading. Its also important ot remember that its very rare that nations would trade weapons during wartime in general, war would suck up resources and cannons would be needed domestically, which was something far more pressing than making money off selling them to even friendly nations. The last example of any real foreign use of Venetian resources by allies at all seems to be Lepanto in 1571 where the vast majority of ships and guns were Venetian, although a great number of them were manned by Spanish and Austrians men.

5. Burak Damgacı

Thanks for valuable information again Fluffy.

6. Kamilow

Kamilow Active Member

This Venetian thread is very , very interesting but unfortunately devs have it deep in ass. So much sad. :mad:. Venice should be one of the coolest faction, but from the beginning they have absolutely nothing.:confused: Creators should learn from the competition as they making and next supporting RTS-games. But they are asleep.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  7. Kamilow

Kamilow Active Member

Nice and interesting game about Venice. This faction have big potential in few historical aspects. Cossacks 3 devs - do something with this! :cool:

Burak Damgacı and HUNRex like this.
  8. Burak Damgacı

I've found more Venice soldiers for 18th century from Pinterest. First 10 pictures:)) Then I'll share other pictures. Sorry, but I have no information about which units. Someone shared Pinterest. I took them. But all of them are interesting and unique.

Attached Files:

Vidas, HUNRex and Fluffy Fishy like this.
  9. Burak Damgacı

More Venice army:)) You can see Croat, Greek,Albanian force who fought for Venice and also see mercenary units and other special units(like artillery, dragoon,galley servants) I think Venice deserved more units and a unique campaign.

Attached Files:

Vidas, HUNRex, Kamilow and 1 other person like this.
  10. Kamilow

Kamilow Active Member

Great job Burak. ;)

11. Kamilow

Kamilow Active Member

............. But without good will of the creators we will not achieve much :)

12. Burak Damgacı

You're right Kamilow. We expect more things from developers. Developers have to do something about DlC and other things. I'll keep on sharing if I find good pictures about Venice or others. We are still waiting surprises from developers.(They promised before)

13. Vidas

Vidas Member

Burak Damgacı and Kamilow like this.
  14. Kamilow

Kamilow Active Member