Why did American Conquest never get the same amount of love from the fan base?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by grizzgolf, Jul 31, 2015.

1. [KGR]-^K[o]K^-

[KGR]-^K[o]K^- Moderator Staff Member

After about 20 minutes when I could not figure out how to play American Conquest, chaotic game
    and yet it was impossible to watch how the graphics look strange.
    I just returned to the game Cossacks: Back to War, which I found graphically better.

2. Furious Peasant

Furious Peasant Active Member

Are you colorblind too ?
    The only big gameplay difference was that you had to send peasants to your fortress to recruit new military units.
    Any Cossacks game needs more time than 20 minutes to be completly understood.
    From a realistic point of few the american conquest gameplay makes much more sense then the CossacksBTWs ones. No selfproppeled guns. No Flintlockmuskets that behave like supersmartrifles. And there was a big tutorial that explained nearly everything.

Loner and Andrej like this.
  3. [KGR]-^K[o]K^-

I see very well, I played more than 20 minutes, the game is just not interested as Cossacks.
    "The only big gameplay difference was" the big problem which i did not like.
    American Conquest it is not Cossacks it's almost a different game.
    "realistic" or not - American Conquest it is simply worse game for me. And big tutorial in english and translate everything what from me the game wants, no thank you. I need the game in Czech. It's the same as Stronghold I also could not figure out how to play. But it is already 10-13 years ago :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  4. Field Marshall

Field Marshall Active Member

I seriously don't understand how you guys keep playing these games and don't feel overwhelmed by the outdated stuff. I started playing BTW and even played American Conquest when i was first introduced into this community. In concepts they were great games and I loved them but after playing modern RTS like age of empires 3 and starcraft 2 they felt horribly outdated to the point that I had to stop playing it. Not having multiple commands and command stacks for units was probably the worst of all the outdated features. I have yet to play a modern RTS game that doesn't have command stacks. RTS kind of sucks without command stacks it makes you feel useless against the command stack system. The fog system, the ai response from your units, their idle state, it all feels extremely outdated to the point that i just had to stop playing it. However, I understood that it was a great game because I knew that it was 15 years old. Now, given the fact that we are in 2015 these are things that are shared common code libraries and should be very easy to implement in C3 making the game reasonable for the modern RTS genre.

5. [KGR]-^K[o]K^-

I have played 10 years Cossacks The Art of War / Back to War and still I could not get enough of it :) No game did not have the same magic as Cossacks. I also stopped playing Cossacks after a few years. Maybe it took a little longer :)

I'm not sure what you mean, but you can give a command with "shift" and thus put in a queue... Cossacks 1 and Starcraft 2 have same commands and command...

Yes, but even in modern games it is not much better, AI seeks to explore what you are doing, but the AI simply mixes all the units and thus make a perfect counter, but it is wrong, if in case, that AI explore, you are doing one type of units, I see this often sadly.

6. Snuffy

Snuffy Active Member

Part of the issue I have with AC/DN is those mountains and hills and everything else that bogs down, divides, and many times snags my troops to the point that I can't extract the troops from the scenery.

If we could get those sorts of things removed from random maps and the like it might actually be more enjoyable.

7. Field Marshall

Well never mind then. For some reason the shift command which exactly what i meant does not work in my version of cossacks 1 BTW. I'm not sure if i actually tried it in American Conquest. I thought this was a game problem not just me. I tried all the hotkeys and it would not put commands in a queue no matter what. I should have said this a long time ago. I always assumed this was the same for everyone.

8. [KGR]-^K[o]K^-

Cossacks: European Wars has no hotkeys, hotkeys was added in Cossacks The Art of War and Back to War.

You need to hold the "shift" key and click the right mouse button (add more click the right mouse button) for planning route. If you want to soldiers going along the route and attacked, it is necessary to click again, click on command "go and attack everybody on the way" each time a new command. Commands working properly.

9. Field Marshall

Yes, that is exactly what doesn't work for me.

10. [KGR]-^K[o]K^-

Only this one, or all of them?

11. Field Marshall

Only Cossack Back to War. Yes only this one.

12. [KGR]-^K[o]K^-

I mean only the "shift" key or all of them?
    Maybe i know why...
    Perhaps it is the installed driver on your keyboard, that it somehow blocks in the game.

13. Furious Peasant

@[KGR]-^K[o]K^-
    So if I understand you right - Cossacks was just the perfect game for you. AC wasn't a bad game but you don't needed it because you already had Cossacks.
    Maybe AC and Stronhold need a bit more time to get used to but they are really worth to be played. The have a lot of interesting and unique features.

@Field Marshall
    I still prefer the Cossacks and American conquest games over Age of Empires III and Starcraft II or Warcraft III. Because in my opinion they are more hardcore strategy games (more realism, bigger armies). Age of empiresIII and Starcraft II are more arcade you can't built so big armies in this games. They also include some roleplaying elements, which is not bad but gives them a different type of gameplay. I am also a history nerd. So I still play my good old games ;P

Mike Erickson likes this.
  14. HerrGeneral

HerrGeneral New Member

The most stupid thing was that the units had only 8 instead of 16 direction angle like Cossacks. The Gameplay was just cheaper.

15. [KGR]CATWEAZEL

[KGR]CATWEAZEL Moderator Staff Member

to make it short: it was crap!

16. [KGR]-^K[o]K^-

I stand by what I said in the message 21 and 23, even if I knew how to play American Conquest, I just did not play it. Regardless of whether I had the Cossacks or not.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  17. Furious Peasant

@[KGR]CATWEAZEL
    This is just bashing no real argumentation. Poor quote from a moderator. *dislike*

@HerrGeneral
    Can you explain that a little bit more precise?
    American Conquest had at least bullet physics, a morale system and more realistic unit stats. The units were also able to use more than one weapon. (pistols, sabers, rifles etc.) The game had very different nations.
    So how can this be a "cheaper" gameplay?

18. [KGR]CATWEAZEL

[KGR]CATWEAZEL Moderator Staff Member

Don't judge about me for being honest mate!

19. Andrej

Andrej New Member

I still prefer AC over Cossacks series. It is graphically superior, the building and the units are in the realistic scale, better moral, wild life, cannon crews, nice landscapes. And extremly hard to play, but oh boy, I really enjoy when I can calculate all statistics at the end of the game and the numbers are 300.000+ dead units! Massive fun! Way better than Cossacks series.
    And I love, that it is necessary to recruit the peasants into soldiers and the units can go into buildings and occupy enemy buildings. Way better than Cossacks.

Furious Peasant likes this.
  20. Snuffy

Snuffy Active Member

Yep, I've had charts from some of my fights with AC/DN with upwards of 500,000 troops. :)

Furious Peasant likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice