Cossacks Reveals Character

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Ftoomsh, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Ftoomsh

Ftoomsh Well-Known Member

It has occurred to me upon thoughtful reflection that how one plays Cossacks reveals one's character. I can certainly tell a few tales about how Cossacks 1 revealed my character. Some of these tales are not complimentary to me! Cossacks 1 revealed some of my personal flaws but also a few better aspects I hope.

1. Win at all legal costs. I soon found that I would do anything to win if I could. If this meant playing "dirty" I certainly did. "Dirty" here means using all possible unpleasant tactics except cheating.
    2. On the positive side of my ledger, I was not interested in cheating (map hacks, enhanced unit stats and so on). I abhor cheating and cheaters.
    3. I was a "mad" attacker. I had no patience and wanted to attack full-on the whole time. That is why I liked zero peace time games.
    4. Being a mad attacker, it took me a while (a few games) to remember to stick to "gentleman's rules" when these were in force. I used to play in an automatic full-on attacking manner.
    5. I would lose my temper and yell at my units when they did something stupid (wrong automatic pathing for example). I never busted my keyboard or PC but I once busted my disk of C1 after a bad series of losses and had to go out and buy another disk. I helped CDV's sales!

What Cossacks 1 taught me was that I needed to be cooler in competitive games which were meant essentially to be fun. Actually, players who can remain cool and analytical will be better players, all else being equal. It's a good life lesson. Remain cool, calm and collected. You will perform tasks much better in that state and have more fun doing it. It just amazes me that it took me so long to learn this. I'm a slow learner. :)

What did you learn from Cossacks 1 about yourself?

2. Snuffy

Snuffy Active Member

That's the way many people play.

At one time I joined an AD&D tourney (Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, yeah,) I was the oldest player at the table. All the younger ones hit the dungeon and tried to ravage the place in a full on charge. Within half an hour tops, I was the only remaining member of the quest that was still playing. Only because I used caution, used all my character skills, and let the cool head determine what to do. I played that dungeon and D.M. for four hours. Meanwhile all the kiddies who went and got themselves killed early were pissing and moaning about wanting the D.M. to start a new quest. Didn't happen. Afterwords, the D.M. told me my character scared him. LOL.

Nothing beats a cool calm head in the moment of battle. I sit in dig in and build my forces before charging off to see who and what I can kill.

3. Umbral

Umbral Member

What Cossacks 1 taught you is :

1. You are an impulsive and violent person and would do anything to win. You even destroyed the CD in real life.
    2. When you lack the skills or merit to win you should accept that and try to become better not become berserk and kill everything around you.

I guess this is nothing to be proud of.
    But the fact that you learned how you react to these things is a major victory for yourself.
    Now you know yourself better.

4. Umbral

Umbral Member

Nice rational person.

5. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

I seem to be between the both of you in my battle stance.

My favorite course of action is to dig in and defend key areas.

Establish a solid economy.

Build up my cavalry units, even at the expense of everything else.

Then Use the cavalry as a mobile strike force that goes from corner to corner attacking easy strategic targets, and pulling back behind my infantry when pressed. I gain control piece by piece until my opponent has no choice than to fold.

Normally if I can survive to first 10 minutes of a game, I have a solid chance of winning.

No idea what kind of Character that exhibits? But there it is.

6. Ftoomsh

Ftoomsh Well-Known Member

It probably illustrates a steadier, more analytical character than mine. :) My instincts were to play "smashmouth" Cossacks, the idea being to attack full-on with no defence left behind and then to build up the economy behind the attacking screen. This style can work if it leads to wrecking the enemy with raiding or grabbing more mines and good defensive outposts. It is not technically the best style of play. Many painful OC Mod losses against Clausewitze taught me that. However, attempts to alter one's basic style are hard too. I used to alternate between being too attacking and too defensive. The really hard thing to do is to find the right blend of both.

Different versions suit different styles too. Zero peacetime, low resources in V1.35 with reverse trading and diplo suits an almost outright attacking style. Long peacetimes suit a defensive style. OC Mod was a balance if played from zero PT. C2 did not suit early raiding and its cavalry was darn strong. That might go some way to explaining your style there. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice