GSC what is your next game project

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Original-Cossacks-Player, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Original-Cossacks-Player

Original-Cossacks-Player Active Member

So GSC the fact you have been quiet on here for some time tells me you have been very busy with your next game project, can you give us some indication what the next game you are working on will be?

All of your core fan base here have been waiting for a while on an announcement...

At the very least can you tell us when you will make an announcement on the next game you are developing, will you announce by the end of the year? Just drop us a hint something is in the works, it really isn't that hard? If you want to start to build some hype for your next game, now is the time with the holiday season fast approaching...

Bodun care to discuss? Give us a tiny hint for something we can discuss on these forums, they are beginning to be very quiet.

[BiA]-Masuk-] and Burak Damgacı like this.
  2. Burak Damgacı

Burak Damgacı Well-Known Member

Yes Original, They forgot to Cossacks 3 communities and said nothing. What happened new nation,new units, new maps or ships for Cossacks 3? If you do something for Cossacks 3, please share us. Don't need to tournament announcement. We want to see new things for Cossacks3.

3. Zakxaev68

Zakxaev68 Active Member

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2.

NOT. Unless developed in conjunction with City Interactive. I'd buy 10 copies of that.​

Sarcasm on me. Said to support Cossacks 3 for years to come, feels abandonware already.

4. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

I just got support from the admins so idk what you are talking about specifically.

At least for the time being the game is getting support.

5. Zakxaev68

Zakxaev68 Active Member

Look around. Broken premise that put back people. It ain't doing it on paper. At the very least, improved and major 18thc ships were mentioned less than anything else. In-game editor got ruled off way after initial sales, what else for a game that claims to have the now essential values. Such as it is, versatile game editor that works within the game, unparalleled performance - if you market the game with thousands of units that battle on the screen at the same time with no damn constraints, you gotta have solid groundwork .

To top it off, nations feel generic without units that were left off for "design reasons", I remember I loved Cossacks for special units bound to each nation, like Ship of the Line, Bedouin, among other infantry-level, that combined with 8000 unit count made for universes' best base-building strategy. Biggest drawback has to be less content than previous games, game has flat feel at its current condition.

That alone means GSC has no real commitment to keep the franchise's origins. If it did it should have done it all by now, delivering what could have been a killer Cossacks 1 tune-up, with more dynamic.

I last paid full-price for an RTS game in 2007, that is a Tiberium Wars Command & Conquer game, then I bought C3 on release day without ever thinking it be that bad. I did not refund, for that I wanted it to get real better after some time. Unlikely will?

Burak Damgacı and Kamilow like this.
  6. Kamilow

Kamilow Well-Known Member

I think that GSC next should make a ,, American Conquest 2"............ but not now. There is a time to improve Cossacks 3 - add Mac conversion , 18c ships , new units , factions , maybe new game mechanics , good balance and delete all bugs. Then we could talk about next games , this is my opinion. :cool::cool:

7. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

Its a bit hard to stomach your whining when you cant even write one coherent english sentence. That aside you arent a modder so you havent seen what GSC is doing with the game behind the scenes. Because the fact remains that GSC does quite a few changes every patch and seems to work hard on the engine which, by the way, is ten years old now.

If you want 18thc ships then go and mod them in. Nobody will hold you back from that.

8. Original-Cossacks-Player

You sure it's ten years old? I'm pretty sure the Cossacks 3 engine is written completely from scratch recently? Cossacks 3 being the first game to use the engine?

9. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

"Written completely from scratch"
    [​IMG]

10. Original-Cossacks-Player

Not quite sure where you are coming from with this one?
    Which is this 10 year old engine GSC has been working on?

11. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

Well for starters GSC (or the Cossacks 3 part of it) as it is now is mostly made of a different developer team.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/46350/Real_Warfare_1242/ is their first game with the engine.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/202860/Real_Warfare_2_Northern_Crusades/ is the second

The engine itself is probably okay but based on the bad reviews you can imagine that GSC's time and money MOSTLY went into making it work again on modern hardware.

Youre clearly overestimating the ability of a ukrainian developer team to just casually write a solid engine from scratch. If they tried to do that it wouldve taken them at least 2 more years to push cossacks 3.

Also before you say its not. I downloaded RW2 just to see if i can salvage the assets from it and its literally the same file structure with everything and all that.

Too bad i cant use the 3d models because they had a system where every unit is pieced together from human, horse, weapons, shields, bows, quivers and so on while cossacks 3 has one model for the human and one for the horse. Peasants are an exception because they have a toolkit, but that doesnt immediately mean im golden.

Also im not the one that found out about this but it was ebel. She posted it in the modding section somewhere.

After talking with her she showed me the tools that were used back in the day to mod parts of the game, which are exactly what we have today for cossacks 3, unsurprisingly.

Either way, this doesnt mean that the game is bad. Its just that you need to understand that behind the scenes theres still a lot of old stuff that does not work properly at all times. Personally i have no qualms about helping the dev team sort out those bugs because at the end of the day the game is very well moddable and im having a blast creating new content for C3.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  12. Original-Cossacks-Player

Interesting. I know Sergey Grigorovich is still head of GSC, I wasn't aware that they had formed as a another developer team apart from Vostok?

All of GSC's previous strategy titles were engines made from scratch, AC being using the C1 engine as a donor with 60% additions to it. C2 completely new. HoAE same deal.

Cossacks 3 had been in development for about 2 years before initial release.

13. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

My point being that it wouldve taken like 4 years if it wasnt based on an existing engine.

Either way i dont know too much about the structure within GSC in general. I just mod the game and its progressing pretty decently.

You can pretty much do anything you want given enough time and patience.

14. Original-Cossacks-Player

With a full time development team it's more than possible to write a new game engine in even less time, getting it stable is the hard part.

I think you will find Cossacks 3 has been written from scratch by GSC. I don't know of those other 2 games and their connection to the Cossacks 3 engine other than the shared assets part which does interest me if they use a similar file structure?

15. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

Well if you really think cossacks 3 runs on a new engine then good for you.

I downloaded real warfare 2 and its the same thing with a different focus. Deluding myself that cossacks 3 is a different game when i could potentially port over a bunch of already existing stuff from previous titles with a little effort is kinda pointless.

The fact that our modder tools are basically the same programs that were used 10 years ago should also give you some kind of indication that Cossacks 3 was never a project written from scratch.

In fact, theres a bunch of legacy code within the scripts that isnt even used. I always find it funny when i find some code thats supposedly doing exactly what i was searching for only to find out its never being called by anything else and is just there because, well, old engine and all.

16. Original-Cossacks-Player

Well according to this interview with the developers they are claiming its a new in-house engine:

Q: Is this an in-house engine, or are you using something like Unity/Unreal Engine to develop Cossacks 3?

Traditionally we are using in-house built engine. We’ve managed to develop very lightweight and powerful engine for Cossacks 3. For 2015 it is unusually not system demanding and performs good on 3-5 year old computers.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...s-of-cossacks-3-which-is-coming-to-linux.5763

I just couldn't see GSC raising capitol to license an existing game engine when they can make one themselves like they always have.
    What does surprise me is the switch to Pascal programming.

17. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

>We’ve managed to develop very lightweight and powerful engine for Cossacks 3.
    Does not mean its written from scratch. I agree its lightweight tho, nothing ive done so far had a noticeable impact on performance, which is great.

>I just couldn't see GSC raising capitol to license an existing game engine when they can make one themselves like they always have.
    Because they didnt have to license it. What im saying is that the guys from 1C that made both real warfare games are now sitting at GSC, developing Cossacks 3. RW had almost the same data structure as well as used pascal, so theres that.

Im pretty sure the only guys that work on C3 and arent from 1C is the balancing team.

18. Original-Cossacks-Player

Yeh I understand but this is common, for example someone ported over Age Of Empires units to the American Conquest game, and also the Age of Empires 2 modding scene have used American Conquest units in the past.

19. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

I wouldnt compare porting 8 Directional sprite assets from one game to another. 3D models have vastly varying file types while 2D graphics can very easily be converted from one type into another, just saying.

The fact that we can even port Cossacks 3 models to blender is more luck than brains because someone made a tool for that a decade ago. Without that we would be stuck buying a 12 year old version of 3dmax that isnt even available for purchase anymore.

20. Original-Cossacks-Player

Hey it wasn't that long ago I was still using Windows XP :):)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice