map without borders

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by kannerke, Sep 1, 2015.

1. kannerke

kannerke Member

Hi all,

I like many of the other suggestions posted here. I have some of my own and will start here with the first one :).

What do you think of a map without borders? Image that when you keep going to the right/left, you end up at your starting point; and the same when you would go up/down?

This to remove the artificial edges of the world that are commonly used as 'perfect walls'.

kr,

2. Masher

Masher Active Member

Wouldn't this cause issues with starting locations? For example say i start in the top right corner and my enemy starts in the bottom left what is to stop me quickly pumping out some troops moving them to the top right edge and then appearing at my enemies base in the bottom left? Or do you mean just scrolling as in the camera? If it's the latter i can support this idea. :)

DrowLegend likes this.
  3. kannerke

kannerke Member

Starting locations are always random? In case you start with 6 players, you could be more disadvantaged when you don't start in a corner and start up between two enemies...
    The algorithm defining start locations could try to add a minimum distance towards an enemy.
    With this new map, no one would get extra benefits from starting in a corner.

4. XDman002

XDman002 New Member

The map will need to be bigger, because with random locations and 6 players in the map, the distance between each one will be too short.

5. Foeurdr

Foeurdr Moderator Staff Member

How about allowing the soldier to pass a little outside the map, where you shouldn't be able to go, that way you could pass the wall easily if they use the artificial border.

6. kannerke

kannerke Member

I don't think that can be compared with the ability of having a large army siegeing a player that is not at the edge of a map.
    map sizes don't need to increase much and can be an option while launching the game.
    Start locations don't need to be fully random, they can randomly be picked from some pre defined 'start pointing grid', which takes a minimum distance into account.
    This pre defined grid can be based on the number of players in the game with a minimal of 4 for instance (minimal 4 points, not players; similar to a 0 x 0 board/grid: http://www.soc.napier.ac.uk/~cs181/Modules/HCI/Practicals/JavaScript/images/blank_grid.gif). Of course some extra logic will be needed to function properly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice