OC Flashman looking for

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Flashman, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Ftoomsh

Ftoomsh Well-Known Member

FIRST OC REVIEW OF COSSACKS 3

Okay, I had to be first at something. My initial impressions are that this game is more like a basic beta release than a finished game. My son, 22, who does quite a bit of gaming says this has become a bit of an issue since online releases of games have taken off. Developers seem to take this as a license to release games in essentially unfinished form. Their thinking is that they can progressively patch it later to a more finished form. I guess it gives them earlier cash-flow at a certain cost for the reputation of the game and the developer. Let us hope that C3 survives this wobbly start and becomes a more finished game by patches and that we don't have to wait too long for this process to follow through.

I will address multiplayer issues as these are the ones I think OC care about most. The actual mechanics of the game will get covered in this process anyway. The main problem I experienced was the game freezing out or dropping out players at start up in multiplayer. Many games freeze and then reject players right at launch. I would say 4/5ths of my multiplayer attempts led to this. I also encountered a mouse pointer problem after trying to build stone walls. Pointer would not drag and box units after that. Moral of that story don't use stone walls yet. Otherwise, the play mechanics seemed okay. I have only tried 1v1.

Cheats are still fully enabled in multiplayer, including the edit-like function of just dropping in units. I have read this on two forums but I have not encountered it myself that I know of. I have only had two successful games so it's a small sample. That said, other bugs are more of a problem at this stage, the starting failures being the main one. The primitiveness of the shell interface is a problem too. It has less options than the old GSC shell. The small maps and having no larger maps is major shortcoming in my view.

Also, it is a shame that more game options are not available. A sophisticated game can do so much more in this arena. Supreme Commander, its expansion Forged Alliance and the modded FAF (Forged Alliance Forever) provide the following option. In setting up a game there is an option button to disallow any units or structures. This takes you to a secondary screen of options where any units and structures can be excluded from the game's permitted build queue by cross-checking the box beside the item. C3 could include this option. Then we, as OC, could cross out say stone walls, diplo units, towers etc. as we wished. Any structure necessary for progress to 18th would have no cross-out box beside it as it would be compulsory to leave it in the build options. There is just so much which can be done with good options. Buildings which have to be permitted for development progress could have their own options in this screen. For example, the market could have options of standard trading, no trading and say 1 trade permitted per x minutes. In this last option you could allow say 1 trade a minute, 1 trade per 5 minutes or 1 trade per 10 minutes. This would damp trading effects and prevent reverse trading.

The game itself plays okay but it lacks many of the key control options we had in C1. For example, if you had a unit or units selected which were out of screen, say some lazy peasants via the lazy peasant button, you could hit the space bar to rapid jump-pan to those units. And what has happened to the command to toggle buildings as see-through or not? That command is very useful. In both, the shell and in the game, I would want to see all the good options and controls that old shell and C1 had, restored to us in C3.

All in all, the game is almost okay as a beta except for shell game-launch bugs. But we need to see a lot of progress in fairly rapid time, otherwise we are not getting value. Admittedly, the game is not expensive. Even so, it needs to be better than it is currently. Let's keep hoping it patches up into something much better. I fear if they don't get good early sales they won't patch it up. Yet, how can they get good sales with this version being a bit wobbly, shall we say? I am a bit worried. Here's hoping.

OC Coswar likes this.
  2. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

It was announced that Apple, and Linux versions would be released in a few weeks after launch.

Multi is pretty bugged at the moment. A little strange, since my single player seems to work fine.

Smallish maps are a disappointment, but playable.

3. Ftoomsh

Agreed. We must try to meet up for a test game in the shell. I could do a 30 minute test now, time of writing.

4. Ftoomsh

Update to my little review above. I am having more success at hosting games in multiplayer now. It seems the trick is don't use lean mines. It does not seem to like that setting. The next one up, standard mines, works well. I have been trying 1v1 and 2v2. I use low resources and standard mines with open land and default settings. Seems to work out okay. I set no rules as nobody would abide by them probably. These are just general users. Nobody was cheating, most seemed very inexperienced. I hardly used the market, just once at start and I only use diplos if the other guy does. I was losing one match when I tried to make stone walls. Don't use stone walls, they have a bug. I lost control of my mouse. Could not click and drag effectively.

The pace of the game seems leisurely. That suits a slow old fart like me. :D It should be good for 2v2, maybe 3v3. Can't wait for bigger map size though.

Lots of shell and in game commands seem to be missing though. That needs work.

OC Coswar likes this.
  5. OC Coswar

OC Coswar Member

Hosted one game v Ai just to test the speed it was fine but I closed the game.

Joined 2 games one 2v2 crashed speed was good. The other one 7 ffa crashed and I was winning with two nations!!!!

I agree with footy this is a beta version and not a good one at that.

6. Ftoomsh

However, it has potential. It's not there yet, but after getting some 1v1 and 2v2 working in multiplayer I am more hopeful. It will be interesting to see what the next 6 months of releases turn it into. I am starting to view this as a pre-paid (by users) beta. Personally, I don't mind the US$30.00 that I paid which is about Aus $45.00. That's pin money unless you are a teenager or student.

7. James Hayes

James Hayes Active Member

The reason i believe it was released the way it it has been is due to money. The are using the money they have made so far to help push the development further rather sitting the draining resources that they possibly dont have.

8. James Hayes

Guys I have not got a 50 slot Teamspeak 3 server up. I am currently at work and they seem to block the ports -.- so il have to wait till i get home to setup the server. Once I have done this. I will setup a channel for you guys and give you admin for you channels :). Just inbox me who are the leaders/guys more active so i can chat to you .

9. James Hayes

Hey guys,

Here is the IP for teamspeak.

91.134.252.221:9219

There is no password for the time being, should we start to have issues with random people I will password it. Please someone contact me and I will gladly create you a channel and give you admin permissions.

10. Dargonne

Dargonne New Member

Hi my old OC brothers, I've been waiting a while for this. Do you know when Mac version cis coming out?

11. Dargonne

Dargonne New Member

Ok I see Mac isn't out for a few weeks :(:(:( I'll be Back

12. OC Coswar

OC Coswar Member

Hi good to see you! I think the Mac version is coming out in a few weeks.

13. OC Coswar

OC Coswar Member

Just had a look at last night’s patch notes good to see they are making a real effort!!

14. James Hayes

15. OC Coswar

OC Coswar Member

Anybody about for a game tonight?

16. James Hayes

I am :)

17. OC Coswar

OC Coswar Member

Cool see you in the shell !!

18. Swordsman

Swordsman New Member

Howdy, all. [OC]Swordsman here. I was hoping for an OC revival with the release of C3, and here it is! I have not downloaded or played yet, but hope to in the next couple of days. My son, Gordon, was a big Cossacks fan when he was starting primary school, and used to look over my shoulder when I played with the OC. He was about ten when I last played with you all. He is now 22, and looking forward to joining. He tells me that there is at present no provision for clans in the shell - is that right?
    At any rate, I will look forward to getting reacquainted, here and on the field.

19. vonshaunus

vonshaunus New Member

Hey chaps.

I am enjoying the hell out of the game, bugs and all. Fixes are coming thick and fast which is nice.

Will look forward to seeing some of you in game and maybe will hop into your TS.

20. Ftoomsh

Hi m8, awesome! :) Check out this site set up by OC Fotheringill. Reapply in the Guests forum. There are no special provisions for clans in shell yet but people can add a standard clan prefix to their nickname.

http://oldcossacks.freeforums.net/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice