Open source game code

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by kannerke, Oct 24, 2015.

1. kannerke

kannerke Member

Hi all,

I think/fear many suggestions from this forum will fail to be included in the game.
    Lots of suggestions probably need a lot of coding work and time is a limited resource.

Is there a chance the code of the game will get open sourced? Cossacks still has active comunity a I think many members will enjoy adding features they like to see in the game. By making the source public, you'll get more resources for free.

As example I'd like to mention openttd where the re-implemented game (build from scratch) offers much more features then what is feasible with the ttdpatch/mod earlier.

Kr,
    Peter

2. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

The developers have announced that the same tools that they have used to develop the game will be made available in game. The ability to take the game in a completely different direction will be possible. The game, with the proper effort can become a fantasy, WW2, game or whatever you would like.

3. Field Marshall

Field Marshall Active Member

Yes, but what the Original poster is suggesting goes much farther than that. Even if they give us good tools they will still be limited to what the game allows as most of the files will have copy right and you can't really use them outside of the Cossacks modding forums, but more importantly if we get open source we would have acess to the code which will allows to trully build anything we want which would be much easier than having to script new game-play. Unfortunately because cossacks is a paid product it would be impossible to make it open source but they could at least provide programmers (who purchased the game) with the source code.

4. kannerke

kannerke Member

Even releasing the source code of the original games would already be nice.

5. grizzgolf

grizzgolf Member

The things people will dream up will be insane. Hopefully a AC knockoff!

6. Ftoomsh

Ftoomsh Well-Known Member

LOL, my dream if I could do graphics, would be a Dr. Who RTS. I can see those daleks now. Those hemispheres on their surface are grenades. To throw these grenades they spin and spray the grenades out.

The game would start with workers who have mobile thermite welders and cutters. Then these are weaponised by research and you get "pike" troops which fight with thermal pikes or lances. Lots of sparkly fun! :)

And so on as futuristic weapons are researched but underneath the graphics the game plays in a sense like 18th C warfare. Would be fun but breaking copyright would be the issue. Of course a totally futuristic game could be made too.

7. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't hurt to ask I suppose. But asking for the keys to their hard work is probably a long shot.

I would suggest that you ask in a private message rather than in a public one though.

May have a better chance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice