What are peoples thoughts on having a supply unit in the game?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Original-Cossacks-Player, May 17, 2017.

1. Original-Cossacks-Player

Original-Cossacks-Player Active Member

What are peoples thoughts on having a supply unit in the game? What I mean by this is that you would require a pack horse to be in a certain radius/area of your units, if your units fall out of this radius/area, then your units health slowly decreases, I think this could make things a lot more interesting strategically as you could cut off your enemies supply lines, every army that has ever existed requires supply lines, so this would be a great historical addition to the game.

It could be made into a start option so you can disable or enable it for each game depending on your tastes.

I would be using the Priest to base this unit off because essentially healing is what the Priest unit does, so it would be the same principle except by default units start loosing health automatically unless there is a pack horse nearby.

I would start this off as a simple thing as above, but later I could add things such as the pack horse needs to return to a supply point (your base) to "get" more resources and then return to a gather point (which you set by right clicking on the map), I could then also add that units won't shoot without a pack horse nearby (as obviously muskets and artillery require powder and shot), but I would start off with the simple one first and see how that goes.

2. A. Soldier

A. Soldier Active Member

I think a pack horse supply unit would work well if there was an ammunition system in place.

And by that I mean a bar, similar to that of the health bar, which could be replenished by pack horses.

A pack horse could get supplies from either the Town Hall, Storehouse or Market, or possibly a new custom modded in building, similar to the Ammo Depot in American Conquest: Divided Nation.

Problem would be that if you gave them a patrol order and build a supply building behind your lines they could just go along the entire line and never run out of supplies.

But yeah, all in all your idea sounds like a nice one but I think it would would work better in American Conquest since it was a slower paced and arguably a bigger and more tactical game where you had your lines constantly pushing up to form a wall between you and the enemy, and getting out-flanked was a serious issue, having your supply lines cut off would add even more strategic depth to the game, so when pushing forward you will also need to worry about securing your flanks and not letting the enemy pass through.

3. Ftoomsh

Ftoomsh Well-Known Member

Nice idea. Food and ammunition supply would be good. Patrolling pack-horses can be killed. Supply lines can be cut. Keeping supply lines open becomes a new challenge. If it is well implemented I am in favor of it.

4. Original-Cossacks-Player

It would be a new building, along the lines of "Supply Depot" or similar.

I thought about this also that anyone could exploit this and could just build heaps of Supply Depots buildings right near where you would have battles and exploit the system, but the way I would have it is that you can only build one Supply Depot (much like the diplomatic center) and it would have to be placed in your base, or simply you just start off with the one Supply Depot just like the log cabin, because technically you would build Pack Horses straight away to supply your peasants at the start of the game.

The way it would work is that you would click on the "Supply Depot" building and begin making Pack Horses, you set a gather point on the map (the same as any other building that produces units) where you want the Pack Horses to travel to (such as where your field army is positioned on the map) the Pack Horses travel to this gather point, they sit there for a few minutes (would need fine tune the time) they then return back to the Supply Depot to "get" more resources and then return back to the gather point, in much the same way a Peasant will retrieve food, wood, stone etc. in the game and then bring it back to the storehouse.

I would be limited on how far I could mod this because extra features require modifying and adding code, we don't have access to the source code, but I can at least base this off the Priests unit, everything is there in the game currently to enable this and fine tune it, it shouldn't be too complex.

A. Soldier likes this.
  5. Original-Cossacks-Player

That's what I was thinking, and because it would be part of the games "Start Options" you don't have to have it every game, some people might feel like playing like this whilst others don't.

I'd also like to eventually add supply ships in a similar fashion for supplying battleships, frigates in coastal maps, but this would be after a thorough testing of the land based supply first.

And even better would be a trade system with pack horses going to ally markets the same as in Age of Empires 2.

6. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

It would definitely help forcing the player having to create external bases to protect their supply lines, but then there would be a problem of how you want to structure those bases to begin with.

The current state of the game with scaling building costs simply doesnt permit you placing barracks anywhere outside of your little megalopolis.

7. Hansol333

Hansol333 Active Member

Rise of nations had a good system
    -units lose HP if in enemy territory, unless in range of a supply wagon
    -the supply wagon also increased attack speed of siege units
    -for french the supply wagon also slowly regenerated hitpoints

8. Wralth

Wralth Active Member

I vaguely remembered that system. I think it was fairly well made and made for interesting mechanics.

9. Burak Damgacı

Burak Damgacı Well-Known Member

I want to see carriages and other supply transportations. Age of Empires 3 gave a good example this situation. Maybe Supply depot is useful for players. American Conquest Divided nation gave another example ammuniton depot,defensive structures the game needs everything. Cossacks 2 gave another good example static depots near the neutral small towns and villages.

10. I would say I like it, but it just doesn't feel "Cossacks" to me. The lack of restraint in what you can do has always been a good thing about this game.

Michael W

11. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

I feel that there is way too much economy micromanaging in the game as it is.

C2 had a very good system, with supply lines between the mines (Villages) and TC by mules. These lines could be disrupted and had to be kept open. But it was all automatic.

12. Burak Damgacı

Daddio, If the developers added Cossacks 2 supply system in Cossacks 3 game, do you accept to play? Many of Cossacks fans don't like Cossacks 2 because of restraint. Maybe they misunderstood Cossacks 2. But my favorite game is Cossacks 2. All the things are automatically but We could see the supply lines and how to supplied army with men, other supplies and We tried to capture it. Well this game have had many of building types especially heavy cavalry stable,military academy , fort, fortress. Guard units were also good.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  13. A. Soldier

A. Soldier Active Member

It could be an option, not something forced on you.

14. Burak Damgacı

You misundertood me A. Soldier. I supported Cossacks 2 supply system:)) Maybe I explained wrongly. I mean I wanted to say many of Cossacks back to war fans didn't like Cossacks 2. But I liked it. If the developers or modders could add this improvements in Cossacks 3 game. I've happily supported. I like Cossacks 3 game too but need to improve something better. Now we can't see supply lines and we can't trade our allies. They have to add these features.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice