What new feature(s) should make me buy your game?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Manu_La_Capuche, May 26, 2015.

1. I mean a sole reskin and minor bug fixes ain't enough to make me buy such a game. I'm reading your features list for C3 and then I compare it with the one I can read from behind my old C:BtW box, and I realise that they are basically the same... This is an issue.
    I'm aware that you want to get rid of C2 mechanics, alright. Now how about introducing new ones, RTS-like, but yeah, bringing in some new content? What can you tell about new things? Why should I buy C3 aside from new graphics? These things are not clear.

Thanks for acclaring customers.

Furious Peasant likes this.
  2. Styo

Styo Active Member

It's not the same game.

Firstly, they are completely rebuilding the game from scratch with 3D environment. Brand new campaign. Physics. Right now, they are not stating much because they are focusing on completing an alpha build. As time goes on, they will reveal more features of the game.

Sageboba, Foeurdr and Saddoveanu like this.
  3. Well, may I ask on which base you can state that this is actually not the same game wrapped in a new paper? Physics have already been there and actually had bullets physics since American Conquest titles. Now from what I understand, those things will also be dropped off. So it's actually a step back to my understanding. I'm not asking for detailed things, but at this point of the developpment (release at Q4), I surely hope they have some at least vague features list they are planning to implement in this game. If so, can you share its main traits with us customers? If not, well I would conclude that there is simply nothing added in terms of gameplay and game features, which is a huge turn-off considering buying it.

4. Foeurdr

Foeurdr Moderator Staff Member

For the moment we don't know much about what would be in the game the news feature etc. But the first annoucement was what, a week ago and it was mostly to tell they are working on Cossacks 3. I think we will get more informations in the future.
    Another aspect is that they redo the core of the games as to allow news thing and with the possibility for modder to work easily on it. That already huge, no ?
    And after the release they will continue to add things in game, 12 nations at the release and 8 more later which I think hint us that the nations will be more diverse than in Cossacks 1

Sageboba likes this.
  5. These, even vague, modding tools are actually the only thing that will probably make me buy this, probably after full release just to make sure my money is well spent. This can actually be the saddest excuse for selling a remake or a flawed game in kits you have to build yourself. Because, sadly, game developpers served me this "we-are-in-alpha-testing-it's-too-soon-to-talk-about-features" soup way too often, and in 99% of the cases, I ended with a preordered broken game, mere support and paying DLCs afterwards. For example, stating before release that 12 nations will be in the game and stating that 8 others will be added later is called cut-content, unless they clearly state that this will be released as a patch, and not a DLC. Frankly, I can smell the money-making machine running from where I'm sitting right now, but I genuinely hope this is just my imagination. Communicating features takes 5 minutes, well if there's actual new features planned, though. As a player of Cossacks since the very first EW demo, I hope for the best, but I won't fall for a mere reskin of a game I already own.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
    Furious Peasant likes this.
  6. Saddoveanu

Saddoveanu Member

Considering C3 is a remake, no major gameplay changes are likely. So "same game wrapped in a new paper" is probably an accurate description, and that's exactly what the majority of Cossacks fans want. It's a feature, not a bug :D Because C1 was so popular, the gameplay is proven to be solid and no big changes are warranted. The "new paper" will bring it to the attention of people that never played it. I think it's the best RTS ever, and it's a shame that many in the current generation didn't try it because they never heard of it, or wouldn't play because it's old and not maintained. C3 will change that.

So, I don't know if it will offer enough to someone that is looking for new stuff - but I don't think so. But keep in mind it will come with a very comprehensive modding toolbox - and I have no doubt many great things will come from that. I already have a few ideas myself and can barely wait. The game probably won't be expensive, and besides the out-of-the-box campaings and skirmish, you will get a lot of awesome mods based C1 gameplay that we all know and love.

Sageboba and Foeurdr like this.
  7. Foeurdr

Foeurdr Moderator Staff Member

You know how to make modification Saddoveanu ?
    Can I ask you what you plan to do ? ;)

Sageboba likes this.
  8. Saddoveanu

Saddoveanu Member

I know a few programming languages so it shouldn't be too difficult. I do plan on learning about C3 modding tools, when they come out. At the moment all we know is that the language will be similar to Pascal and that's all :)

It's pretty vague at the moment, but stuff like promoting experienced units, or the ability to arm peasants and convert them into militia. Also a new building, some sort of light fortification that can be built near resources that are farther from base (i usually build a church :) ). Or adding some sort of "bandit" faction. Nothing major yet, but things that I'd like to experiment with.

Sageboba likes this.
  9. Sageboba

Sageboba Member

Manu_La_Capuche, after reading your comments all I could think of was how I distinctly remember reading in the Polygon interview that they wanted to release "An old-fashioned full price game", I went to try and find that on the interview, and it is no longer there, I don't know if I just can't find, I imagined it, or GSC Game World are pulling a fast one on us and removing their previous statements but while searching for it I found this on IGN's story about Cossacks 3, but only in the comments, it is nowhere to be found in the actual story, how did that person comment about it if it was not there in the first place? Seems really fishy to me... Hopefully I'm wrong.

EDIT:
    Found a news article quoting it here.

10. Sageboba

Sageboba Member

Turns out that I read that in an old PC gamer article not in the Polygon one, my mistake. But anyway the point is that they're hinting at no cut content etc.
    Here's the article.

11. ares0027

ares0027 New Member

well with your logic (and exaggerating a little bit) all games are same. you play half life with mouse and keyboard and see it on screen, you play age of empires with mouse and keyboard and see it on screen. well you play mario with controller, but you can play it with mouse and keyboard and see it on screen too if you want. so you are basically just pushing the limits. age of empires 1 = 2 = 3 = mythology = rise of nations = red alert = c&c = cossacks then. basically you try to defeat your enemy using real time strategies and control your "massive" army. you are asking something that you already know the answer to (answer is: it is too early to even assume something). you and everyone else have to wait and see. it is not even available to pre-order yet. so you cant even purchase it now even if you wanted to.

12. The "too early" tune is not a answer, it's an excuse, and I know this too well now. Also you might have misunderstood me about those new features that would motivate buying a game or not. Because there was a lot of change between an AOE2 and an AOE3, gameplay and setups, and also the game mechanisms changed completely. Hell, there was a lot of changes between C:BtW and C2. Calling a game Cossacks 3 should imply such new features in this title, ortherwise you might as well call it Cossacks: Back to War HD Edition, like all those marketing operations lately. Don't take me wrong, I appreciate remakes of old games, but don't call it Cossacks "3", because oviously it ain't.

13. [KGR]ALVO

[KGR]ALVO New Member

As on old cossacks back to war player i can honestly say i would be absolutely over the moon to see cossacks back to war without the bugs, these bugs are not minor they are game breaking which is why a huge amount of cossacks players from the lcn league stopped playing. The DMCR bug for example meant players or spectators could not watch the battle between the armies, if they did take a glance to the center of the battle they would be immediately kicked from the game. That was 1 bug then there came some years later a new bug as the computers of the world got faster it introduced a synchronization error where the whole game would stop and have to be restarted.

to hear that there will be new nations and environmental changes already sounds good but i understand it will take time since making a game from scratch instead of just polishing the old engine is a whole new ball game so people should be patient and not flood the topics with add this and add that like its as simple as dragging a file into a folder :)

king regards ALVO ;)

14. [RO]Proof

[RO]Proof Active Member

For me no need more features ,is enough new graphics, new balanced maps for multiplayer and good optimization :)
    of topic:

ALVO u Jason doyle from youtube? if yes please can u tell me what program used to record?

[KGR]-^K[o]K^- and [KGR]ALVO like this.
  15. [KGR]ALVO

[KGR]ALVO New Member

lol im suprised you know that am i that famous? haha erm i cant quite remember the program i used as i dont have it anymore but have you tried OBS? https://obsproject.com/ i think this is ok alot of people use it for twitch

[RO]Proof likes this.
  16. Cossack

Cossack Administrator Staff Member

This can be done quite easy. It may be harder at first, to learn tools and content/script structures. But for experienced modders like us ) this can be done in 1-2 days with testing.

Foeurdr and Saddoveanu like this.
  17. Sakonosolo

Sakonosolo New Member

There are new campaigns, which seems like a decent reason for a sequel, and even some sequels did just that. Look at Crysis to Crysis Warhead. The gameplay was essentially the same but the story was new. Or Thief to Thief 2. Some new mechanics were introduced in Thief 2 (and I expect even just a little bit of new/improved features in C3) but it was more or less the same gameplay as the first game but with a new campaign. Between that and new graphics, probably better physics, better modding tools, running better on modern computers (you can play the GoG versions of the games on Windows 7 but you have to kill explorer.exe first and I haven't figured out how to allow overlays to work, plus the performance of the game is pretty different from more modern games), etc it doesn't seem like that bad of a deal to me.

18. [RO]Proof

[RO]Proof Active Member

@Sakonosolo : you wrong, Cossacks Antology from GOG work fine on win7 32/64, no need to kill explorer

Manu_La_Capuche likes this.
  19. Sakonosolo

Sakonosolo New Member

I have them. To play them without the colors messing up (though I didn't try the actual gameplay, maybe it's fine) you have to kill explorer.exe before launching them. Also I just remembered that I had to replace a .dll file in game folder or I would just get a black screen at startup.

Maybe this doesn't affect everyone, but it affects me and other people as well. So a game made specifically for modern hardware would work without all these hassles.

20. [RO]Proof

[RO]Proof Active Member

Maybe u dont have Cossacks antology from GOG, al games from GOG are optimized for win 7/8, many friends have version from gog and use on win 7 and no one have problem s whit colors

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice