Which game settings did you like best in C1 BTW and why?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Ftoomsh, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Ftoomsh

Ftoomsh Well-Known Member

The settings I liked best were;

Landscape type: Land.
    Nature of ground: Plain.
    Initial Resources: Normal (1,000)
    Minerals: Lean.
    Map Size: Large (2x)

Start options: Default (18 peasants).
    Balloon options: No balloon.
    Cannon Options: Expensive cannons
    Peace time: No peace time
    18th C options: Defualt
    Captures: No peasant captures.
    Autosave options: 10 mins.

Preferred additional rules by agreement:

No diplomatic units.
    No reverse trading.
    No shipyards.
    No multi-barrell cannons.
    No use of geo upgrade.
    No attacking with officers only.
    No building a 2nd nation with captured peasants.
    Limit wood walls to about 220.
    Limit stone walls to about 220.

Of course, OC Mod built in some of these extra rules.

Reasons.

Plain land is best for long games and big armies. Maps with mountains or plateaus are too blocked and too easy to defend. The 2x map is enough to reduce early raiding along with banning the diplo units. The 2x map also means less real need for peace times. Low initial resources and lean mines make the struggle to build an economy more challenging. It also means upgrade decisions have to made carefully and prioritized.

No balloon keeps the fog of war which makes the game more challenging. Expensive cannons reduced cannon streaming. Building a second nation spoiled the game in my opinion as it gave a whole second population cap as well as new unit types. Diplo units worked against formation play and building positions. Geo upgrade made it too easy to find enemy base. Walls needed to be limited or people could make multiple walls and defend forever.

You might guess that I liked land games and didn't really like fishing boats and navy. These were too overpowered compared to land units and spoiled a land game with lakes. Continent games are different and of course need navies but I think the shipyard / navy system needs major re-design and reduction in shipyard and ship numbers.

2. Furious Peasant

Furious Peasant Active Member

I played everything but no "millions-game". That was horrible. There were people who never learned to build a working economy and just spamed thousends of units. urghhh

I like the following starting options:

peasant army
    big landscape
    no captures
    no 18 century

Sadly the AI always ignores the "no 18-century" option. -.-"

3. Ftoomsh

I have to agree about millions games. I always thought the millions setting was really only for testing. When testing a mod, I found the millions setting very useful so I could race through testing and make sure that building dependencies and upgrades were all having the right effect.

The idea of RTS is to build an economy and then translate it into a military. Millions seems to negate the whole idea of that. That is why I prefer the exact opposite to millions; the least starting resources and the lowest mine settings, with no fishing boats and no reverse trading in the market.

But I sense that soon Catweazel will arrive in this thread and tell us why Millions is a good game. ;)

4. [KGR]CATWEAZEL

[KGR]CATWEAZEL Moderator Staff Member

He literally forces me to post :D you could not be more right :D

Sadly, most standard players were good at building up economies but had no idea how to control large armies.... you see where this goes...
    Best was to be a good at all options to be a great overall player!

Back to topic:
    I can play well in all options. 5000 10/20 pt, and all options with million ressources were my best.

5. [KGR]-^K[o]K^-

[KGR]-^K[o]K^- Moderator Staff Member

What and Why?
    This speaks for itself :) because I love it.
    [​IMG]

[KGR]CATWEAZEL likes this.
  6. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

Through necessity I played nearly all settings of Cossacks. Just getting a game at my time of day was difficult.

But most enjoyable for me was.

30PT, No art, No raid, no power.

Also enjoyed Millions! but not all that much.

Least favorite games were low resources, little or no pt, and art.

7. Ftoomsh

I am intrigued that your least favourite game was low resources and little or no PT.

I think that low resources and no peacetime work well when using 2x maps. I am thinking of open land maps. And I am thinking of any version of C1 be it BTW, Mod 1 or OC Mod. I will give my reasoning.

(1) The 2x (double size map) reduces early raiding. It is more difficult to mount raids over longer distances. This has to do with the concept of strategic attenuation. I discuss it in other threads like my thread called Scaling and Simplification.
    (2) Low resources also reduce early raiding along with other settings or rules like no diplo units.
    (3) Low resources and no peace times mean all phases of the game can come into play. I mean the major phases which are;

(a) Economic Opening and Early Infantry tactics;
    (b) 17th C combined arms (infantry and cavalry, cold steel and muskets);
    (c) Mid-game transition (mature 17th C armies but usually with more attention being paid to fully walling the base and getting more economic upgrades rather than continued attacks);
    (d) Early 18th C phase (features large remaining 17th C armies fully upgraded and new 18th C units not yet fully upgraded);
    (e) Mature 18th C phase (features large almost purely 18th C armies fully upgraded).

Long Peace Times and/or high resource settings tend to skip over the military aspects of at least phases (a) and (b) often (c) and even sometimes (d). In these situations, I feel the full developmental and tactical and strategic complexity and interest of the overall game is lost. To my mind, a game played from 0 peace time, low resources but on a large map develops more organically and holds more possible varieties of play.

Furious Peasant likes this.
  8. fly

fly Active Member

I enjoyed 1000/5000 20-30pt a lot, with market as well as without... and Millions default 10pt :)

Daddio likes this.
  9. [PR]Ernest

[PR]Ernest Moderator Staff Member

5k 10pt and 1k 20pt no market no dc.

10. [EiS]bob

[EiS]bob Member

Art was imba never played it other than for fun.

Other wise: 1k op pt open land map
    5k 0pt open land map (cannons and capture usually but it generally never got that far to matter for cannons)
    5k 10 and 20 pt open land. No dc
    1mil 10pt defualt peasents and aop.

The one game mode i found really fun was 1k 20pt random nations and no market as a 2v2 or more players. It really brought out the eco game since it wasnt just spam stone and dump into trade.

11. Random-Random-Random-Random...
    Like Forest Gump's mother said
    Life is like a box of chocolate,you never know what you are going to get

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice