Windows 10 and Cossacks BTW

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Ftoomsh, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Ftoomsh

Ftoomsh Well-Known Member

Anyone know how to get Cossacks BTW to run on Windows 10? I had a method to make it run on Windows 7. That method looks like it would still work except that in Windows 10, the mouse pointer doesn't appear and won't work. I am trying this with an old disk version of BTW not a steam version.

Why would I do this when C3 is out so very soon? I want to at least practice a bit in BTW against the AI. And also I want to get used to my new PC, keyboard and mouse in a game environment.

I have a new PC with no software yet except Win 10 and Firefox for browsing internet. Talk about boring as none of my old games will work on Windows 10.

As a side question, do people still like buying new things? I used to but now every new product seems to bring a world of aggravation with it. It doesn't work or it doesn't work properly or it's completely changed and you have to relearn everything or it breaks straight away or it's a lemon. Is it just me or has product quality undergone a massive decline across the board in the last 10 years? Yes, things are fancier, more advanced, more functions but they are flimsier, break, fail, go obsolescent faster and so on.

2. [KGR]CATWEAZEL

[KGR]CATWEAZEL Moderator Staff Member

Contact me on skype, I know how to get it work.
    cat_86

3. Ploppy

Ploppy Member

You need to install a patch. But I don't know where to find it anymore.

4. Furious Peasant

Furious Peasant Active Member

The Cossacks Back to war version the sell on www.GOG.com works on windows 10.

5. [KGR]CATWEAZEL

[KGR]CATWEAZEL Moderator Staff Member

There's no need to pay money.

6. Ftoomsh

Ftoomsh Well-Known Member

Thanks mate. Can you write instructions here or is it a bit too lengthy for that? Or a nice link to instructions. At this stage, I think my only problem is the mouse issue. It won't recognize mouse input properly and won't produce a moving mouse arrow.

I have a batch file which I used to use to run BTW 1.35 + Baddog + OC Mod (any version) in Windows 7. This still works. It closes the Explorer process and runs BTW, then it restores the Explorer process when the game is exited. This used to solve the neon pixels colour problem in Windows 7. There used to be this mouse issue too with Windows 7 but only if you used a newer mouse. The older MS mouses were okay. But on Windows 10 I cant find any mouse in my collection that works. Hmm, maybe if I dug up a real old mouse but not sure if I have one anymore. Any quick thoughts? It's not super urgent, as C3 is so close now and I am practicing on my new system with another game just to get keyboard / mouse / screen familiarization; you know, the feel and ergonomics of it.

7. Commodore

Commodore Active Member

I am also doing that , Win 10 and steam version of BTW works ok in compatibility mode (I use Win 8 compatibility)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice