Your style of play in C1

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Daddio, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

One thing we know is that C3 will be "close" to the play of C1 BTW.

C1's best aspect, and I think what stands it apart for all other RTS games was the ability to play a multitude of different styles of games. From millions to thousands, with pt, no art, no capture, literally hundreds of combinations of games.

So while we are waiting for the beta to come out I pose the question.

What style of play did you play in enjoy the most in C1?

2. Daddio

Daddio Moderator Staff Member

My favorite was 45pt, no art no raid. I joined [1776] clan, and played mostly with [PUR], [ebel]. [OC] and many more just can't remember them just now.

But after meeting several good friends online, I learned most of the most popular styles although I never perfected them.

3. Field Marshall

Field Marshall Active Member

I hope that even if the game is just like C1 we can at least discover new play styles in C3. My typical playstyle is to be as unorthodox as possible. Haven't played enough C1 to actually say what specific type that is.

[RO]Proof likes this.
  4. [RO]Proof

[RO]Proof Active Member

5k, peace time 20 ,no art,raids,hill,dc .

[PR]Ernest and Daddio like this.
  5. [PR]Ernest

[PR]Ernest Moderator Staff Member

5k 10pt and 1k 20pt no market no dc.

[RO]Proof likes this.
  6. [WW]Prototype

[WW]Prototype Active Member

$$$ 0pt,$$$ 10pt,$$$ AOP,that's some of the best,that i play,others is 5k 20pt Uкraine,and Uкraine 1k - nomkt-20pt))i don't have a favorite option,i think all options are funny,if you play it,but i have a favorite thing in C1,that is acts of war.Yes it's true,i do appreciate more the fighting than the development,and i think,i like this part of Cossacks because the fight is the last thing,that determine the winner. :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
    [RO]Proof likes this.
  7. Ogon

Ogon Active Member

My favorite is No Diplo, No Balloon, No Warships, no walls just wooden palisade 1000 and lean initial resources. No peasants captures - other captures are ok. but usually played no second nation.I personally prefer longer PT 30-45 min but most OC liked to have it short.

Two things in which I would differ from some of the preferences listed above is hills and raids. I say yes to both and please read carefully why. I usually play on plains so hills are just small areas of raised terrain. As far as military history goes the best commanders were able to make a strategic and tactical use of hills. Sir Arthur Wellesley aka Duke of Wellington was the master of the Hills tactics and i see n0o reason why you should not be able to position troops on the hill. Practically in the game playing on plains you DO NOT have to attack hills you can bypass them. But that makes the attacker planning more challenging and interesting.

Same thing with raids. I never win by raiding, but i have to sacrifice a good portion of my force to deter possible raiding. ability to defend your base without walls is challenging and allows you to develop additional tactical skills. If you do not believe me please test me in the field playing the old game. Then the question remains about the definition of raiding. For me raid is a single hussar destroying your entire base. The way I defend my city - it would never happen. But what if I have 200 18 century dragoons (from stables not from diplo) and I decide to strike you from the other end of your city, emerging from FOW inevitably going through your base and burning your base if you wee not prepared. For me that is tactics not raiding. I am prepared fr that as my base is defended from both outside and inside perimeters. Again it comes at a price of reduced main force. Of course some player s would prefer just a big battle in an open field but for those i would recommend HAWKS type of preset battles. Cossacks is an RTS game. Ability to Build, Attack and DEFEND makes it really deep and creates thousands of choices.

Here are my two pennies.

8. Foeurdr

Foeurdr Moderator Staff Member

My favorite game is with no peace time, 1000 ressources, medium amount of ressource on the map, on a map highland, or plateau or high hills all the other things on default, I will usually don't use the balloon just because I like the fog of war but I don't disallow it (I research it if I'm bored).

9. Ftoomsh

Ftoomsh Well-Known Member

I agree with most of those conditions. To my mind the best style of 1v1 and 2v2 games occur with no PT, lowest resources (1,000) and lean mines. For a land map, the 2x size map is best and open terrain is better than other settings which cause too many choke points. It is best to ban the balloon, the use of mercenaries, peasant captures and the use of the geo upgrade. It also best to ban the use of the multi-barrel cannon though this causes problems in dealing with swarming nations like the turbans. Other rules to stop the streaming of cannons like expensive cannons are probably good. Also, ban stone walls if they are unlimited in number.

Zero peace time, low resource, games develop organically and there is a good balance between raiding tactics, long term strategy and overall positional development.

One thing I would suggest for developers is that 2x maps make all terrain 2 times in size and 2 times in distance. What I mean by this is that on a 2x map, the plateaus, for example, should be the same height but twice as broad and the gaps between them twice as wide and so on. And please do away with those long, thin plateaus that snake on forever. The make too big a barrier in the game.

10. [K_A]WARLORD

[K_A]WARLORD Member

PT 30/20 - 5K no A/T/W/DC was my forte

In the early days (2001-2002) I remember PT45/PT60 was very popular probs due to 56K dial up connections!!! lol

[RO]Proof likes this.
  11. Ftoomsh

Ftoomsh Well-Known Member

That raises an interesting point. If the game was running slow due to lag, less development could occur in the set peacetime (say 45 minutes) because the game "tick rate" was slower. This raises the point of whether peace time in those days needed options for real clock-time "ticks" or game-time "ticks". Perhaps this will no longer be an issue as most people have faster internet now.

I think the game should be set at a standard minimum lag of 500 milliseconds (half a second). This means it would lag at 500 ms even if all parties had a faster connection. This would still allow 120 commands a minute which is still plenty in my opinion. this would tend to standardise game "tick" speed if you get what I mean. Obviously, games are going to run slower than that when someone has a ping to someone else of greater than 500 ms. Most lag over 500ms now happens when people very far away from each other connect. For example, Australia to Russia or to China is sometimes not good. Though I think the lag to China might be for other reasons too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice